Supreme Court upholds the rights of Homeschooled children

SoundMan

to receive estimated grades.

Undoubted interference with the constitutional rights of the children.

The minister for education (her dept) had taken it to the Supreme Court having previously lost in a lower court.

so is the outcome of this that the home schooler (parent) is entitled to award predicted grades for their own childs leaving cert results, and these must be accepted by colleges?

So they all get 600+?

so is the outcome of this that the home schooler (parent) is entitled to award predicted grades for their own childs leaving cert results, and these must be accepted by colleges?

So they all get 600+?
And ScumMan cheering them on.

If they think home schooling is so brilliant then why do they need points ?

I mean sur, do 3rd level courses at home too if it's so good

So they all get 600+?
How the judge didn't see that Burke's mother awarding the grades was a conflict of interest is beyond me. (horrible family by the way)

How the judge didn't see that Burke's mother awarding the grades was a conflict of interest is beyond me. (horrible family by the way)
Not sure that's what the judge was judging the issue on tbh Earl. And teachers of secondary school students can have conflicts of interest no matter how much they try to detach themselves when awarding predicted grade. Human nature to want better for someone you like and not to be so nice to someone you dislike.

As for predicted grades I think there's been grade inflation across the board. Even in the old days pre-covid, grades were generally given to a bell-curve. One year students might have been better/worse than the preceding year, or the course changed or whatever, but grades were generally pulled up or pushed down to conform to a bell curve so that the results for say 2002 were broadly similar to those for 2003, albeit the points required for 3rd level courses could change depending on demand and availability. For some reason that normalisation hadn't happened sufficiently in the hybrid predicted grade/written exam case over the last two Leaving Cert Years.

Not sure that's what the judge was judging the issue on tbh Earl. And teachers of secondary school students can have conflicts of interest no matter how much they try to detach themselves when awarding predicted grade. Human nature to want better for someone you like and not to be so nice to someone you dislike.

As for predicted grades I think there's been grade inflation across the board. Even in the old days pre-covid, grades were generally given to a bell-curve. One year students might have been better/worse than the preceding year, or the course changed or whatever, but grades were generally pulled up or pushed down to conform to a bell curve so that the results for say 2002 were broadly similar to those for 2003, albeit the points required for 3rd level courses could change depending on demand and availability. For some reason that normalisation hadn't happened sufficiently in the hybrid predicted grade/written exam case over the last two Leaving Cert Years.
The state's reason for denying Burke and the other student predictive grades was due to the absences of “satisfactory, credible evidence from an appropriate source”. The state believed that their parents aren't appropriate sources

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jeito Moleque
The Kino, Washington Street West

12th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Whole Lotta Zepp

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼