Stephen Kenny Reign

Last edited:
I doubt anyone would disagree with that THK, surely no one is saying that giving it a good crack against france and then losing the games to Greece is fine?

We had a good shot at france, it showed we can play a possession based game, we made some chances, and were solid defensively on the whole. I can see no reason looking at our squad why Greece would not fancy taking us themselves, I'd say we will be relatively well matched when it comes and that is our big problem. We need to find a way that we are getting those results and be relatively confident we can. Thats where Kenny will succeed or fail, because if we cannot take a win and a draw from them then he is getting no more than the basic sum of the parts from our gang. If we get 4 points or more then i would consider that really good going and Kenny exceeding expectation.

The Dutch are a good level above us, but hopefully we can get a result in Dublin. I cant see any more than that away to them, and France will be waiting for us in Paris to correct things!
People are saying it though, quite a significant number. As long as the semi mythical idea of "progress" is being shown a sizeable minority think he should be given the whole campaign regardless, despite the fact that a loss in Greece means we're out of the running for yet another campaign.. Many of these same people are excited about Ferguson, Bazunu, Collins but by the same token say we "don't have the players". I'd suggest this is our best squad in at least 5 years. Kenny is lauded for "brining players through" but literally any other manager would have done likewise.

Having said that, if there is no better alternative then getting rid would make no sense. While I still hope - and for some reason still believe he might - turn it around, I also suspect we'll only realise how bad he was once he is gone.

People are saying it though, quite a significant number. As long as the semi mythical idea of "progress" is being shown a sizeable minority think he should be given the whole campaign regardless, despite the fact that a loss in Greece means we're out of the running for yet another campaign.. Many of these same people are excited about Ferguson, Bazunu, Collins but by the same token say we "don't have the players". I'd suggest this is our best squad in at least 5 years. Kenny is lauded for "brining players through" but literally any other manager would have done likewise.

Having said that, if there is no better alternative then getting rid would make no sense. While I still hope - and for some reason still believe he might - turn it around, I also suspect we'll only realise how bad he was once he is gone.
Incorrect.

Also, who's saying that losing to Greece is fine, honestly?

We all know that the playing pool is improving and that it's time to get results back on an upward trajectory.

You're right people are excited about them but they still lack experience and who knows if their careers will pan out how we expect/hope.

You'd swear we were qualifying for every tournament going when we'd a squad full of PL stars. I can remember one WC in my 30 years ( obviously was 94 too but no recollection apart from the saucy white opel jersey donated by the cousins years later). No Euros with likes of Robbie and Duff etc at peak? None from 88 to 2012? Obviously easier to qualify now (if you don't get France and Netherlands in your group) but it tells you it's not as easy as having lads people rate.

Our squad is coming together and has improved but still think we're wanting in midfield. I really like the lads there but France and Netherlands and even Greece aren't relying on lads in the 2nd/3rd tier of England.

Ireland boss Stephen Kenny has revealed his 22-player squad for the upcoming training camp in Bristol ahead of the crucial Euro 2024 qualifiers in June.

The group is made up of players from the League of Ireland and the EFL and will gather at the Robins High Performance Centre next week.

The Boys in Green face Greece on June 6th in Athens before welcoming Gibraltar to Dublin three days later.

Ireland Squad – Bristol Training Camp

Max O’Leary (Bristol City)
James Talbot (Bohemians),
Brian Maher (Derry City)
Danny McNamara (Millwall)
Callum O’Dowda (Cardiff City)
James McClean (Wigan Athletic)
Ryan Manning (Swansea City),
John Egan (Sheffield United),
Dara O’Shea (West Bromwich Albion),
Sean McLaughlin (Hull City);
Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion),