Spiritualized to Perform, Reissue Ladies and Gentlemen

this will be worth the short hop to london

Spiritualized to Perform, Reissue Ladies and Gentlemen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At ATP's Don't Look Back shows, bands play their classic albums straight through. It's a good idea, one that worked great at the last two Pitchfork Music Festivals when bands like Sonic Youth and Public Enemy reprised their defining works. But even the best albums usually have filler tracks or zone-out stretches that inevitably end up sounding a bit flat live. For an album to work in this kind of setting, it needs peaks and valleys, quiet moments and climactic ragers. It needs something like a narrative arc, and it has to unfurl just right.

Spritualized's 1997 drug-rock breakup opus Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space is basically the perfect Don't Look Back album. Now, the band will bring it to the stage of London's Royal Festival Hall for a Don't Look Back show on October 12. This is the sort of thing that makes me wish I could afford plane tickets.

Ladies and Gentlemen, arguably the band's best album, moves gracefully from expansive blissout moments like the title track to stormy classic-rock bangers like "Come Together" and culminates in the 17-minute junkie free-jazz epic "Cop Shoot Cop", which will absolutely wreck everybody's shit live, especially if the ATP folks spring for a decent light show. And when the band plays this ambitious, gorgeously produced record live, they'll do it right, bringing a gospel choir, string and horn sections, and special guests with them.

Sony will reissue Ladies and Gentlemen in October with "added content and new packaging," according to the Spiritualized website. This sounds pretty badass, even if Sony has basically no chance of improving on the fake prescription bottle packaging of the original.

went to the gig last night in London
fricking amazing

one of the best gigs I've ever been at
venue was perfect to, royal festival hall

if you get a chance to see this tour, with the choir and orchestra go for it

When did they break up? Couldn't have been that long ago. Bands are probably breaking up these days just in the hope ATP through wads of cash at them for those gigs.

EDIT: thought it said reform, not perform. ignore unfounded cynicism. :)

When did they break up? Couldn't have been that long ago. Bands are probably breaking up these days just in the hope ATP through wads of cash at them for those gigs.

EDIT: thought it said reform, not perform. ignore unfounded cynicism. :)

they never broke up jason pierce just has a different musicians record with him over the years so tecnically its jason pierce and whoever else is in the band at the time

Saw them around this time last year in cypress ave and they were awesome...was weird seeing them in such a small place because their sound is MASSIVE

Out at ze end of the month
Disc 1

1. Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (I Can't Help Falling In Love)
2. Come Together
3. I Think I'm In Love
4. All Of My Thoughts
5. Stay With Me
6. Electricity
7. Home Of The Brave
8. The Individual
9. Broken Heart
10. No God Only Religion
11. Cool Waves
12. Cop Shoot Cop

Disc 2

1. Ladies And Gentlemen (A Cappella)
2. Ladies And Gentlemen (Demo)
3. Ladies And Gentlemen (Strings)
4. Ladies And Gentlemen (Kate Telephone Call)
5. Ladies And Gentlemen (Moles Studio Mix 7)
6. Ladies And Gentlemen (Original OratoneIdeas)
7. Ladies And Gentlemen (A Cappella w/ Lead Vocal)
8. Come Together (Instrumental Demo)
9. Come Together (Demo In Lower Key)
10. I Think I'm In Love (Original Demo Idea)
11. I Think I'm In Love (Demo)
12. I Think I'm In Love (Drums/Wah)
13. I Think I'm In Love (A Cappella)
14. I Think I'm In Love (Vocal Demo Jan 96)
15. I Think I'm In Love (Gospel Choir Session)
16. All Of My Thoughts (Demo)
17. All Of My Thoughts (Strings)
18. Rocket Shaped Song

Disc 3

1. Electricity (Demo)
2. Electricity (January 96)
3. Electricity (June 96)
4. Home Of The Brave (Demo)
5. Home Of The Brave (Panned Vocal)
6. Beautiful Happiness
7. Broken Heart (Demo)
8. Broken Heart (Strings)
9. Broken Heart (Vocal Harmony/Angel Corpus Christi)
10. Broken Heart (Early Vocal)
11. No God Only Religion (Demo)
12. No God Only Religion (Horns)
13. Cool Waves (Demo)
14. Cool Waves (String Session Mix)
15. Cop Shoot Cop (Demo)
16. Cop Shoot Cop (Dr. John 'The National Anthem)
17. Cop Shoot Cop (String Session Mix)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
All You Need Is Death (16)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

24th Apr 2024 @ 8:15 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼