soccer; am i the only one?

It's not a bad game to play, but its a distraction to how mundane people's lives are as they try to find solace in the bottom of a pint of fosters every Sunday, generally the people most into it, and the biggest fans never played the game. Simple sport for simple people.

A bit like the lads who never played rugby and are down the local knocking back Heiners every time munster are on tv?

The sport itself isn't the problem. Soccer itself is a fantastic game and I enjoy playing it.

It's the media circus and the relentless streams of inane content about some reserve full back's calf niggle that analysts manage to get ten minutes discussion out of is what puts me off. When Irish channels or radio stations carry this kind of content ahead of domestic sports news that's when my Premiership disdain peaks.

I think the saddest thing ever is the way lads will sit in pubs like the Long Valley and watch a guy with headphones on TV who himself watching is a game on an unseen TV while a news ticker flashes up important updates about Holborn V Chiswick from the 8th division.

The games themselves can be excellent at times if you're willing to block that waffle out and I like watching the Saturday evening Premiership round ups on RTE. I watched one or two champions league games towards the end of the competition and enjoyed them. I just can't watch the analysis for more than a few minutes.

Plenty of bandwagon jumpers on the rugby scene, but at least the jerseys that Munster sell to fans puts money into the system that helps develop underage players somewhere along the way, when a man utd jersey is bought it benefits sime rich Chinese dude who bought shares.

Who pays for their youth academy then?

It's not a bad game to play, but its a distraction to how mundane people's lives are as they try to find solace in the bottom of a pint of fosters every Sunday, generally the people most into it, and the biggest fans never played the game. Simple sport for simple people.

You're right, but it's been done to death on here. The mob prefer wendyball and cannot see it's flaws (either through willful ignorance or knuckledragging stupidity) and prefer to attack those who point out the flaws rather than actually have a think about it.

All I read there is, "we like rogby and we are more intelligent than you."

Ye remind me of the Harry Enfield character who goes around telling everyone he is considerably richer than them. Substitute richer for "I am considerably smarter than you " and you have liam and lawrence.

4564_original.gif

twit3.gif

Yeah its turned into a circus.

I was already at saturation point around 10 years ago. The developments and money circulating the game now makes it even more of a turn off.

Adebyour goal celebration vs Arsenal summed it up for me.

Honestly don't know how the working man can afford to go these games every week. Just to go Cork City games for me atm is a sacrifice I make somewhere else.

I still enjoy the Champions League, World Cups, Euros and the city games though so I still enjoy the actual game.

Great post.

I'm a bit meh to rugby and soccer tbh.
Modern soccer has lads throwing themselves on the ground like fairies and modern rugby is full of fellas on goofballs.

I'm a bit meh to rugby and soccer tbh.
Modern soccer has lads throwing themselves on the ground like fairies and modern rugby is full of fellas on goofballs.

Soccer and every other top sport is full of fellas on goofballs. Professional sport is riddled with it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼