Smart Telecom/Eircom broadband modem compatability

A friend had Eircom broadband, with the wireless modem (Netopia thing with the arial) and has since switched to Smart Telecom.

She got a router with Smart that works fine with USB or Ethernet, but wants to use the Netopia wireless box with the Smart Telecom line.

Tried helping her out, but the Netopia Box wouldn't accept the Smart Telecom username and password. The signal between the laptop and the wireless box is fine, but there the connection ends.

Has anyone come accross this, Smart won't support it because it's not their equipment. Does anyone know if Eircom fix their modems so no other company can use them or anything like that??

Cheers

There should be a little pin hole somewhere on the router that acts as a hard-reset switch. Press a pin in there for about 30 seconds (10 is usually the norm, but some can take 30 seconds). That will restore the settings to the factory default. Then access the router through it's web configurator (usually the ip is 192.168.*.1, the star being a 0,1 or 2). Now you should be able to input all the settings you want to use.

Just copy the settings from the Smart box to the netopia box. Should work fine. I used my zyxel that I got free from esat for the free trial when I switched to netsource. I just had to change the settings such as the ip address, subnet, gateway, dns, etc. Make sure that in windows the connection is using DHCP (the setting 'obtain an ip address automatically') and in the router the 'act as a DHCP server' is enabled. Specify a range for the ip's given out by DHCP, such as 192.168.*.10 -> 192.168.*.100 with the star being the same as whatever number corresponds to the router ip.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Soviet Milk (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼