Sinn Fein are not a Normal Political Party

But when somebody spends their life refusing to recognise a monarchy as a republican but then goes to an event celebrating
a monarchy?

Maybe I'm getting fluffier in my old age but I don't see a major problem in acknowledging the fact that QEII has sat on the british throne for 75 years and accepting that there are millions that want to celebrate the fact. I'm not a royalist and I think it absolutely bizarre that someone should be feted because they exited a particular vagina nearly 100 years ago but if that's what brits want to celebrate let them off. Not as bizzarre as her having TWO birthdays every year I grant you. I mean even Jesus had only one birthday per year. Just as long as they don't expect me to tug the forelock to her or her children or somehow imagine they have dominion over my country.
I can acknowledge her longevity and the fact that millions look on her as some kind of leader, much as millions others look similarly on the Pope for example, without being subservient to her, or to him for that matter.

Maybe I'm getting fluffier in my old age but I don't see a major problem in acknowledging the fact that QEII has sat on the british throne for 75 years and accepting that there are millions that want to celebrate the fact. I'm not a royalist and I think it absolutely bizarre that someone should be feted because they exited a particular vagina nearly 100 years ago but if that's what brits want to celebrate let them off. Not as bizzarre as her having TWO birthdays every year I grant you. I mean even Jesus had only one birthday per year. Just as long as they don't expect me to tug the forelock to her or her children or somehow imagine they have dominion over my country.
I can acknowledge her longevity and the fact that millions look on her as some kind of leader, much as millions others look similarly on the Pope for example, without being subservient to her, or to him for that matter.
It is 70 years.

There's an obvious distinction here.
They're not the same thing at all.

Most people understand that the best way to make progress in NI is to reach out to the "other side". To be fair SF, lesser extent Alliance and even SDLP do that regularly. UUP try their best occasionally. DUP don't bother.

You can't claim to want to be an SF FM for all in NI or an Executive minister for all in NI and not think across the 2 traditions. Hence he went to a jubilee event and O'Neill wrote to the Queen.

That's a world away from the celebrating the partition of our country. There was never a legitimate claim to Ireland other than our own. Under threat of terrible war we agreed to the partition of Ireland despite in 1918 73 of 105 seats across the island in favour of independence. To celebrate that would be accepting its legitimacy.

In 98 we voted for peace. We voted to accept that the partition of our island, imposed under threat of war, would remain until the majority said otherwise. As we have been discussing that might happen in 10 or 20 years or as others have said it might never happen. It doesn't mean the partition of our island is any more legitimate. It just means ending partition can only be done through democratic and peaceful means.

The 2 things are perfectly consistent unless you have a particular view of SF.
It is a balancing act between appealing to the base who have always voted for the party and also attracting new voters
who previously never voted for you, It is how politics works, Here are my principles and if you dont like them i have some more,

There's an obvious distinction here.
They're not the same thing at all.

Most people understand that the best way to make progress in NI is to reach out to the "other side". To be fair SF, lesser extent Alliance and even SDLP do that regularly. UUP try their best occasionally. DUP don't bother.
But what about the side that are happy to live in NI the way it is now, neither Nationalist nor Unionist, people that call them citizens of NI and have no interest in the tribal moronic politics.

It is a balancing act between appealing to the base who have always voted for the party and also attracting new voters
who previously never voted for you, It is how politics works, Here are my principles and if you dont like them i have some more,
Don't think so. 2 completely separate things.

My read is since Brexit SF in North have been unerringly low volume. The DUP are losing. The case for unity is being put forward by the myopia of the DUP now. So what do they do?

The "right" thing that supports the notion of working in partnership, talking all sections of the community, keeping the head down. They can afford to do that while the DUP do their job on the constitutional question for them.

It doesn't make them less Irish republican or just republican. It pushes the idea of normalisation, a shared past, shared future, improving things for everybody and with the jubilee gig it doesn't say they support monarchy, it says as part of the above we want to support others celebration of it.

Again it's entirely consistent if you look at the politics of NI outside of the SF lense used down here.

But what about the side that are happy to live in NI the way it is now, neither Nationalist nor Unionist, people that call them citizens of NI and have no interest in the tribal moronic politics.
And they are flourishing. And conceivably that section could become bigger than the other "sides" combined. And if it does, so be it. I suspect though, with respect, the non-alignment does not mean they are neutral on cost of living, jobs, investment, instability and the cause of it.

Naomi Long went to great pains in an interview to clarify Alliance position on constitutional issues a couple of weeks ago.

They are adamantly neutral at least publicly.

She said if and when a BP was called they would evaluate the offer for unity and status quo on their merits and take a position to campaign accordingly one way or another based on that evaluation.

It's pretty clear you still haven't grasped what's been explained to you a couple of times now jimmy.

One can still be a republican and still attend yer wan's jubilee. The fact that it seems to upset you a lot that such opinions can be held says much though.

Her "partner" John Montaine banned from driving. Looks like a dopehead, unemployed, layabout. 6 kids between them and refused to pay a homeless charity over 12 grand in rent, now they're still banging out kids and looking for more charity and a council house.
Absolutely insane that members of parliament can act like this. We've had Violet, Maria Bailey, Ming, Wallace, Daly, and countless others.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼