Single carriage bus lane down the centre of roads??

Why is there no appetite to design Corks bus lane network with a dedicated single bus lane down the centre of our roads, even its on our arterial routes around the city that can handle design??
I have always found it ridiculously strange that engineers are dead set on sticking a bus lane up against foot paths in each direction.
I mean, you could then have decent stops along the line in a raised pedestrian platform which would allow easy ingress of passengers of all ilks. The bus lane would be completely segregated from the cars to a degree (i guess you would still need access points along lane to allow cars mount the bus lane to pull into a house/driveway on the opposite side of the road).
To allow bi-directional flow of buses you could easily synchronise buses and have automation control so that only one bus is allowed on the lane at any time.
It would save all this hassle with taking peoples gardens with this bullshit notion of bus connects in Dublin and the nonsense on the Wilton Road.

Why is there no appetite to design Corks bus lane network with a dedicated single bus lane down the centre of our roads, even its on our arterial routes around the city that can handle design??
I have always found it ridiculously strange that engineers are dead set on sticking a bus lane up against foot paths in each direction.
I mean, you could then have decent stops along the line in a raised pedestrian platform which would allow easy ingress of passengers of all ilks. The bus lane would be completely segregated from the cars to a degree (i guess you would still need access points along lane to allow cars mount the bus lane to pull into a house/driveway on the opposite side of the road).
To allow bi-directional flow of buses you could easily synchronise buses and have automation control so that only one bus is allowed on the lane at any time.
It would save all this hassle with taking peoples gardens with this bullshit notion of bus connects in Dublin and the nonsense on the Wilton Road.

Pedestrian access to the bus-stops in the middle of the road would necessitate over-passes at regular intervals. That's probably why it's not been tried in this country, or any other country I've been to that I can recall.

Good use of space if the bus-stops were treated like Luas stops and you could jay-walk to get to them. Make the cyclists use the bus lanes too - apart from when the buses are between stops obviously.

Pedestrian access to the bus-stops in the middle of the road would necessitate over-passes at regular intervals. That's probably why it's not been tried in this country, or any other country I've been to that I can recall.

Good use of space if the bus-stops were treated like Luas stops and you could jay-walk to get to them. Make the cyclists use the bus lanes too - apart from when the buses are between stops obviously.
So have the cyclists pulling in and out of motor traffic?

I dunno. I doubt overpasses would be needed. Just have a nice, clear, wide pedestrian crossing speed bump type thing. Like there is Main Street in Ballincollig, Midleton etc.

And no. I would ban cyclists from using the dedicated bus lane. It would be too narrow. Redo footpath space and rearrange it to accommodate cycle lanes. The roads are too dangerous for bikes.

I mean, trams in Amsterdam go down the Centre of roads to conserve road space as does the Luas in many spots.

I dunno. I doubt overpasses would be needed. Just have a nice, clear, wide pedestrian crossing speed bump type thing. Like there is Main Street in Ballincollig, Midleton etc.

And no. I would ban cyclists from using the dedicated bus lane. It would be too narrow. Redo footpath space and rearrange it to accommodate cycle lanes. The roads are too dangerous for bikes.

I mean, trams in Amsterdam go down the Centre of roads to conserve road space as does the Luas in many spots.

Just 1 bus lane in middle of a road?

What is there are bus routes on both directions of the road?

Just 1 bus lane in middle of a road?

What is there are bus routes on both directions of the road?

Have passing points and run the busses to a proper schedule so that buses don't enter the same stretch of bus-lane at the same time. Of course the weakness of that plan is having busses running on time :-(

What the fawk does that mean?

:shock:

I'll be honest, Soundy, I think you could win it this year. At a minimum, you deserve a lifetime achievement award.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼