Sick laptop

When I turn on my laptop this comes up on screen' NTLDR is missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart.'
I do this then it restarts and goes back to the same message.
She is moving on a bit on fairness, but is this a big job to fix?

not a big job...

couple of ways to repair but easiest is to do an operating system repair..

Do you have your operating system discs? (You need a full disc not just a basic oem)..

Identify whether you have xp home or xp pro (look at your os sticker on base of laptop - your going to need this key anyway)

Start laptop/insert disc and have it boot from there

Follow the steps to do a fresh install of windows (Don't worry this is normal)
At this point it will ask you if you want to 'repair' install a fresh copy..

choose repair...

You can see the stages here

[Important!!!]
If your key has worn away on the label then the repair is slightly more difficult as the drive needs to be removed/accessed on a second machine to be able to recover the key via a program called Product Key or similar...(You will need the key!!)

PM me if your not to sure how to do this and want it done.

It has xp home, I do not have those discs anymore.
I think I need a new one anyway( this ones pushing on 7 years), and it's getting fairly slow as well.
Cheers anyway

I think I need a new one anyway( this ones pushing on 7 years), and it's getting fairly slow as well.
Cheers anyway

Bloody good life out of it then so... get a new one..

To rescue your data. Take the hard drive out/get an external 2.5" enclosure [You'll want an IDE type] insert your drive and you'll be able to get your stuff back...

btw if you do that you could also 'Fix' your drive at the same time. basically ntldr is not missing - whats happened is the security descriptors have become corrupt. sometimes (not all the time) ye can fix it by doing a simple chkdisc when the drive is slaved on another machine. Return to original machine and it works again..

if it doesn't work then ye have to go through the above procedure I described/linked to

Sure, if ye want the software - I can make ye a copy and drop it into the shop in cork for ye..

again just drop an ol pm if you do...

Cheers anyway

Just something to note when you buy a computer theese days you wont get the OS disk anymore.

You will get a recovery disk which basically reverts the computer to a factory buld image.

or

You will be told to create a system backup using a particular program installed on computer.

If its the latter create the backup straight away you never know when it could go belly up.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Thursday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼