Should we remove Ireland's WW2 lookout posts?

Should we remove Ireland's WW2 lookout posts?

• Total voters
Just a note on this:
Wellington didn't say it, O'Connell said it about Wellington
O’Connell’s speeches, including (p. 93) one given at a banquet after the Monster Meeting at Mullaghmast (near Ballitore; the meeting was held Sunday the 1st of October 1843):

The following passage in reference to the Duke of Wellington was received with great laughter: “The poor old duke what shall I say of him. To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse.”

Ok Thanks for that.

O’Connell’s speeches, including (p. 93) one given at a banquet after the Monster Meeting at Mullaghmast (near Ballitore; the meeting was held Sunday the 1st of October 1843):

Ok Thanks for that.
It's got about that Wellington said it, seems to be just a miscommunication. Only found out myself a week ago

How would you nationalise something that is in private ownership?

Would you consider it reasonable if the state decided to nationalise your house?

If it's purchase was thanks to the proceeds of criminal activity why shouldn't it be taken by CAB?

If it was then deemed to be of such significance to the people of the state I'd see no issue at all with putting it in public ownership rather than selling it on to a private entity after confiscation by CAB.

A bigger hurdle than EU law would be the constitutional right to own property. Creating a legal precedent that the state can just nationalise property of foreign nationals at will would require a constitutional referrandum I would think.

The aforementioned CPO can trump right to own particular properties can it not? Cos if it doesn't the whole BusConnect proposals to CPO peoples' property wouldn't get very far. Fairly sure even peoples' houses have been CPOed in the past for things like road realignments. So in spite of EU law or constitutional right to own property there is much precedent there to take property from people (though what a fair market price for Blarney Castle might be is another consideration).

If it's purchase was thanks to the proceeds of criminal activity why shouldn't it be taken by CAB?

If it was then deemed to be of such significance to the people of the state I'd see no issue at all with putting it in public ownership rather than selling it on to a private entity after confiscation by CAB.
(y)

Would you be comfortable with a law that allows the state to take your property if they deem it desirable?

Maybe you should have a word about representing the homeowners along the routes of the proposed Bus Connect corridors that have been threatened with having their property CPOed.

Meanwhile, on the topic of retaining those concrete lookout huts I think it would be a travesty to demolish them. Yes they don't have any architectural merit but they were a necessary construction of their time. And unlike most castles these days some of them can provide shelter when you're out walking a headland 😇

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Ben Portsmouth - This Is Elvis

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼