School Places Selection Process

Just think of all the traffic it'll take off the roads if children are just made go to their nearest school. None of this wank about trekking halfway across town because it's "WHERE FATHER WENT".

Schools are all resourced to meet the needs of whatever kids attend them now. It's normal to have all sorts of demographics in the one building. Segregating by class is completely stupid and only creates further division with an "us and them" mentality.
That's how it is in Germany for primary schools. If you move across town, your kid has to change school. But kids can choose secondary school, which then selects based on grades.

US also has school districts but I'm not sure it's the best model.

If indeed it is nepotism for your child to go to the same school as you did all other things being equal, then nepotism is endemic in this country.

For instance a guy I know here at work his son is at least the third generation of his family that went to the Mon - and I suspect his grandson/daughter if/when he has one will go there too. I wonder if they realise there was such nepotism involved. :unsure:

If indeed it is nepotism for your child to go to the same school as you did all other things being equal, then nepotism is endemic in this country.

For instance a guy I know here at work his son is at least the third generation of his family that went to the Mon - and I suspect his grandson/daughter if/when he has one will go there too. I wonder if they realise there was such nepotism involved. :unsure:
Work he says 🤣🤣🤣.

It's nepotism if there is favouritism shown because of being related to someone. If there is no waiting list for a school then there is no issue.
If there is a waiting list and the only reason one child gets in ahead of another is because a parent went there is about as clear a case of nepotism as you can get.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼