Scam phone-calls

Been receiving a number of scam-phone calls the last month or so but where previously they were coming from unusual numbers abroad the latest ones are coming from Irish numbers.

Surely tafaq the service providers here can stop such calls which are at best nuisance when you block the number but can develop into much more sinister situations for naive people who do give over their information.

If a particular number is complained say to comreg and/or the gardai more than three times then surely there should be an onus on whoever the service provider is to block the scam calls..

yeah, dunno why the providers can't ban these cunts unless they too are making loot off it

the whole thing is a total pain in the arse

The numbers can't be blocked because they are real numbers used by real people. The scammers are using software to mask their own number using other random phone numbers. I know of an individual who got 10 to 15 returned calls from people who had calls from his number, none of which he made. When he contacted his service provider he was told it was scammers using this software, the service provider said there was nothing they could do about it.

I bet the service providers can stop phone calls when customers aren’t paying bills. Bit of a cop out by them claiming they can’t do anything in this imho

If you have an iPhone select the “silence unknown calls” option. Then any unknown numbers will automatically be diverted to voicemail. They will show up in your “recent calls” list.

That's missing the point Drucker. These scam phonecalls have no benefit to society. Surely they can be legislated against?

There’s already legislation in place against them. Same as cyber attacks.
And speed limits.

I’m merely suggesting a technical remedy to try and alleviate the annoyance.

There’s already legislation in place against them. Same as cyber attacks.
And speed limits.

I’m merely suggesting a technical remedy to try and alleviate the annoyance.

Hadn't realised that there's legislation in place against them. Hopefully the gardai will try enforce it.

Yeah thanks for the technical pointers but thankfully I'm probably too cynical to be taken in by them. It's the more gullible in society I'm worried for. Like the GAA treasurer who was scammed and ended up topping himself :-(

Hadn't realised that there's legislation in place against them. Hopefully the gardai will try enforce it.

Yeah thanks for the technical pointers but thankfully I'm probably too cynical to be taken in by them. It's the more gullible in society I'm worried for. Like the GAA treasurer who was scammed and ended up topping himself :-(

Jesus wept! You didn't know that hacking was illegal?

I bet the service providers can stop phone calls when customers aren’t paying bills. Bit of a cop out by them claiming they can’t do anything in this imho

Yes they can, if you are not paying your bill your service provider can disconnect your service. How the fuck are they suppose to disconnect a service from somebody who is not know to them, not a customer of theirs and who's location they do not know?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jack L
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼