Ron Atkinson

BBJ

BFR turned 80 earlier in the week.
I first saw him playing for Oxford United in the 1960s and, leaving aside his sojourn at Old Trafford, he did a very good job managing Villa in the 1990s. The 3-1 win over Man U in the League Cup Final in 1994, depriving them of a domestic treble, was especially enjoyable.
He always had a way with words - they eventually cost him his job! - and one of my favourites is: "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat".

I first saw him playing for Oxford United in the 1960s and, leaving aside his sojourn at Old Trafford, he did a very good job managing Villa in the 1990s. The 3-1 win over Man U in the League Cup Final in 1994, depriving them of a domestic treble, was especially enjoyable.
He always had a way with words - they eventually cost him his job! - and one of my favourites is: "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat".

I enjoyed big Ron.. he was hard done by

Why?

He had a very decent spell at United the first few years. Two FA cup wins, never out of the top 4 (would be seen as great these days ffs), and one wonderful European night where Graeme Hogg, I repeat Graeme fucking Hogg had Maradona in his fucking pocket.

big Ron was a decent football manager.

Why?

He had a very decent spell at United the first few years. Two FA cup wins, never out of the top 4 (would be seen as great these days ffs), and one wonderful European night where Graeme Hogg, I repeat Graeme fucking Hogg had Maradona in his fucking pocket.

Agree..you got your point across early doors

Why?

Sorry, Donald, I didn't express myself very well. He was indeed very good at Man U and indeed wherever he managed. As a Villa supporter, I think he's a legend!

Sorry, Donald, I didn't express myself very well. He was indeed very good at Man U and indeed wherever he managed. As a Villa supporter, I think he's a legend!
BBJ
Don is kind. McGrath was and will always be called God in the Holthe end.when nobody wanted him he became one of the biggest legends in Villa history. To win the EPL player of the year from Villa says it all about Ron and Paul. Still have the jerseys from them years.

Sorry lads but some really skewed revisionism going on here. When Atkinson was outed for racism he didn’t just call the seriously dignified Marcel Desailly the n-word he brought all the racial stereotypes he could together by saying “in some schools he would be known as a thick, lazy n-.” What school would that be now Ron? Maybe the school where students would know the answer to one of your favourite questions when you were West Brom’s manager - “Name the six footballers whose names end in ‘o’ who have played for West Brom since the war?” Answer - Ken Foggo, Len Cantello, Joe Mayo and the three sambos. Ho, ho, ho. The three so called ‘sambos’ were Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson, absolute legends of the club. When Atkinson got in trouble for racism he kept mentioning how he promoted them when he was manager. He brought in Batson from his old club Cambridge alright but Regis and Cunningham were already first team players brought through by Johnny Giles and in the English U21 team when he arrived. He did something similar with the great Paul McGrath by suggesting he rescued him from the scrap heap. He didn’t. Graham Taylor took McGrath to Villa. In all the years he managed McGrath he continually referred to him as McGraTH, making sure to pronounce the -th. What was that all about? A simple mistake? It was hardly as if the great man’s name was unknown. It’s clear from the texts here that Atkinson has had some success in promoting himself as a victim. Some bloody victim.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

You Spin Me Round: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼