Retrieving files from a usb

I tried to save a pdf to my usb and for whatever reason a message popped up stating my usb needed to be formatted. I have been using the usb for a while now, and I have some work files (recently worked on) that unfortunately have not been backed up to the cloud. If not the whole usb, I would like to retrieve at least these newly worked on files.

A friend told me to try a recovery software package (recuva) but I only got the following message when trying to scan: Unable to determine file system type.

I've read that i could try a quick format of the usb, and then use recuva to retrieve the files. Is this an option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A bit dodgy. Formatting will probably over write everything and Recuva can not read files that are over written.
Sometimes you can access a damaged usb/disc by using
something like
EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition - Free download,
but it's a bit technical and you have to be sure you do not go near your hard drive.
The other option is to try the USB in as many different pc's/laptops/ tablets etc., so might work.
I have has a usb spend some time in the washing machine, sometimes it can be read, sometimes not,
best of luck
Dave

A bit dodgy. Formatting will probably over write everything and Recuva can not read files that are over written.
Sometimes you can access a damaged usb/disc by using
something like
EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition - Free download,
but it's a bit technical and you have to be sure you do not go near your hard drive.
The other option is to try the USB in as many different pc's/laptops/ tablets etc., so might work.
I have has a usb spend some time in the washing machine, sometimes it can be read, sometimes not,
best of luck
Dave

Cheers Dave, I have tried my usb in other laptops/desktops but to no avail. I'll try again in some other devices, otherwise I'm pretty stuck! A friend from VM Ware suggested Ontrack (file recovery business) and they said they would be able to do it, but at a cost of £250 + vat!! That's out for me, the files aren't THAT precious.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼