Rename the Pana to “Terence McSwiney Street ”.

Well I do know that. And I notice the tendency to name minor side streets to placate people. But why not go the full hog and actually rename the Pana itself after Terence McSwiney. 100th anniversary these few years right now would be a perfect occasion to do so. You can’t get more Cork than that Terence fella. Watching that Revolution docu seriously brought a tear to my eye.

The mcswiney ban doesn't have the same ring to.it as the pana ban

The thing that really pushed me over the edge was when they showed a map of IRA attacks - with Cork being so full of red dots that it was overwhelmingly clear where the focus of the war of independence was. Spine tingling moment. Deffo watch it lads. “The Irish Revolution”. It’s on RTE player and some lads have upped it to Youtube. Narrated by our feen , Cillian Murphy. And the song at the end credits is utterly haunting. A Sean nos by Iarla o lionard.

The thing that really pushed me over the edge was when they showed a map of IRA attacks - with Cork being so full of red dots that it was overwhelmingly clear where the focus of the war of independence was. Spine tingling moment. Deffo watch it lads. “The Irish Revolution”. It’s on RTE player and some lads have upped it to Youtube. Narrated by our feen , Cillian Murphy. And the song at the end credits is utterly haunting. A Sean nos by Iarla o lionard.

Tbh, I wasn't entirely impressed with that series. Thought the pacing was wrong. They should have spread it out to over at least 6, rather than 3, episodes. The writing wasn't great either - felt rushed in parts with too much info crammed in. Would have preferred more of a Ken Burns style, slow burning epic for the ages.

I no nothing about that fellow McSweeney but heard a lot about Tomas Mc Curtain. Hopefully nothing will be called after him.
He was a bad egg all right was in the Collins assasination squad and then there has huge Ri Ra when he got it himself.
His son Tomas Jnr was a bad egg also murdered a Guard in oliver plunkett street got the death penalty but was released as he was a good Republican etc.
Listening to Howlin tonight about James Connolly was sickening .If you mentioned that when he was in the GRO in 1916 a young boy came into him and said we shot some of the soldiers that were coming down the street he roared you should have shot the bloody lot of them. Any mention of this the conversation will be closed down immediately. What role modes are we giving to our young people no wonder they feel justified in preparing to wearing balaclavas and looting shops.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Roy Orbison Reborn starring Dean Bourne

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼