Pubs reopening June 29th

Hopefully Paschal will put the vat back to 13.5%
Makes no difference to Pubs as most don’t do food ,
In relation to restaurants and pretend pubs I think it makes no difference .I think it will be catastrophic for them and not of their making .we are well locked into a spiral here and the complexion will be that of the 80s where the few pints will be more important than a main course and a glass of wine ,this recession will benefit pubs and destroy restaurants and pubs that rely on food ,
The 11.30 min wage next year is great too ,there are not many on min wage in pubs unless they are trainees.this is great for any young lad wanting to make sone pocket money ,this feeds back into the local economy the results which can be seen already ,there really is not a staff shortage either rather a reset to Again the 80s and 90s where it was all students working ,
As for free trials these should be named and shamed ,
The few pints is now looking a bit more affordable despite what I reckon will be a 30 c rise in the next 6 months without intervention compared to a deliveroo or actually going out to a restaurant,
I predict inflation to average 5 % pa over the next 4 years,
Largely due to construction inputs and energy,

Last edited:
I took a walk around town there, there's a bit of a Covid vibe about. Lots of pubs not opening Mondays incl. Canty's, Counihans, the Laurel, Callanans, but that just makes you really appreciate seeing the lights on in the open pubs, just to remind myself that we aren't actually back in 2020.

Nice few dining outside Maynes, and I stopped into Fred Zeppelins for a lovely pint of the new Hazy Pale which is being made over at the Fran Well I believe.

Union Quay looks great as well, I still have yet to sit down there for a pint but it's a lovely calm evening for it so maybe some time soon.

I took a walk around town there, there's a bit of a Covid vibe about. Lots of pubs not opening Mondays incl. Canty's, Counihans, the Laurel, Callanans, but that just makes you really appreciate seeing the lights on in the open pubs, just to remind myself that we aren't actually back in 2020.

Nice few dining outside Maynes, and I stopped into Fred Zeppelins for a lovely pint of the new Hazy Pale which is being made over at the Fran Well I believe.

Union Quay looks great as well, I still have yet to sit down there for a pint but it's a lovely calm evening for it so maybe some time soon.
Barty ,
Like the inverse curve with the bond yields we now have a situation where a chips and curry is now approaching the price of a pint .

We're also almost at parity between the price of a latte in a cafe and the price of a pint There's a cafe on Douglas Street charging €3.30 for a take away Latte. Across the road in the Gables you can have a pint of Beamish for €4.50

New gay bar on Marlboro Street, should be of interest to most posters here.

I wish them the best of luck - nothing seems to last in that location. The Marlboro, the Twins O'Brien, Splyglass, to name just a few from recent times.

I wish them the best of luck - nothing seems to last in that location. The Marlboro, the Twins O'Brien, Splyglass, to name just a few from recent times.

Thanks for that, Il check it out,

Next PROC up venue sorted.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sprints
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

25th Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

You Spin Me Round: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼