Pubs reopening June 29th

ML O Donovan calling for government help for the sector, Times have changed Michael, drinking habits have changed,
Yesterday i met an employee from a city centre bar who knew me from my womanising days, he told me business is a far cry from the
days when the pub would be jam packed, He said the marquee gigs give them a lift particularly at weekends,

People who operate pubs/run hotels/own restaurants/drive taxis will always claim that they are an intrinsic part of the “tourist sector,” as if that’s somehow a reason for them to be handed free money.

MUPpets.

:lol!:

ML O Donovan calling for government help for the sector, Times have changed Michael, drinking habits have changed,
Yesterday i met an employee from a city centre bar who knew me from my womanising days, he told me business is a far cry from the
days when the pub would be jam packed, He said the marquee gigs give them a lift particularly at weekends,
Younger people do not have the after-work pints culture and they head out later or prefer to go for a meal and cocktail's etc later.

+ they are healthier and saving for a new car, house or holiday etc.

If all you are doing is selling porter and lager, then you need to have another look at your business model as times have changed and they had it so good for so long.

It is not the Governments (Taxpayers) job to subsidise a failing business model.

My drinking habits have changed massively over Covid. I used always be in town doing my pub crawls etc, but these days if I'm going for a pint it'll be in a bar on my street. Occasionally if I'm in town on a Saturday afternoon I'll stop off for a pint somewhere, but never more than one.

The sheer cost of it is ridiculous. Myself and herself will stay in tonight and watch a movie , and between a takeaway each and a few cans, our night will probably cost around €30 in total. And no messing around with taxis, bouncers, arseholes fighting on the streets etc.

People might not realise yet but their finances are going to feel a serious pinch this winter. And €6 pints are not going to be a priority.

My drinking habits have changed massively over Covid. I used always be in town doing my pub crawls etc, but these days if I'm going for a pint it'll be in a bar on my street. Occasionally if I'm in town on a Saturday afternoon I'll stop off for a pint somewhere, but never more than one.

The sheer cost of it is ridiculous. Myself and herself will stay in tonight and watch a movie , and between a takeaway each and a few cans, our night will probably cost around €30 in total. And no messing around with taxis, bouncers, arseholes fighting on the streets etc.

People might not realise yet but their finances are going to feel a serious pinch this winter. And €6 pints are not going to be a priority.
many people are dipping into savings made during covid ,but over next few months will feel the pinch more and more, last sunday i was planning a few pints in crane lane but had a change of heart, parked in town, had a few lucozades and drove home,

tl;dr version: I have entered my 30s. ;)

How much is a pint in town these days? On hols in the West it's €5 for Guinness €5.30 for Heineken. Back in Cork I'll be drinking Beamish if heading out. A fiver + a pint isn't something I'm interested in throwing at a publican. Also notice minerals are circa €3.30 a glass or nearly €7 a pint. Someone is getting twice as much cream at those prices and it ain't the punter.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼