Pubs reopening June 29th

The people who own Cask have another bar called Paladar opening (open?) on Bridge St. where O'Donovan's was far years (and where several bars were for a few months).

Saw a few photos online. Presumably a cocktail bar.

Is this bill actually a good idea?

Bars have enough trouble attracting staff as it is. Who is going to want to work til 6am? By the time you're finished the cleanup it'll be 8am, crazy stuff.

And I don't think you can compare Ireland with Europe on this. Bars across Europe are open later and crowds fizzle out through the night, but they have a very different drinking culture. Paddy won't leave any pub until the last pint has been served.

Imagine what the streets will be like the next mornings if cleaners only have a a couple of hours between clubs closing and people going to work in their day jobs.

I think a lot of places will set their opening hours as suits them and you'll find people staying to last call in their particular establishment. And these'll be places that'll say, "No-one's around, we'll close up early," or vice versa, as suits.

If places were actually establishing a community of drinkers instead of being a general come-one/come-all for the last desperate few rounds I'd imagine it'd work. And isn't that how Ireland's drinking has typically been billed.

I'd presume there'll also be some allowance for small pubs that aren't packing people in, lesser licensing costs and the like, and easier to stay open later for special functions (the budget already saw a halving of the cost of getting a late license/stamp duty on it.)

I'm all for pubs establishing a clientele and catering explicitly for them.

It WILL be carnage the first few weeks but once the novelty wears off I think things will settle into a pattern.

Lads 30 plus will go out early and finish early or at least a regular time i.e 1am or 2am. The younger crowd will go out later like they do anyway and stay in nightclubs till much later.

Its a fair point regarding the staffing issue and general clean up of the city but I think it will work OK. I'd imagine this has been lobbied for so it won't come as too big of a shock to publicans and the council.

Hopefully it will make it a bit easier to get taxis home after a night out. The post pandemic lack of taxis has really put me off venturing in town for a few pints.

It WILL be carnage the first few weeks but once the novelty wears off I think things will settle into a pattern.

Lads 30 plus will go out early and finish early or at least a regular time i.e 1am or 2am. The younger crowd will go out later like they do anyway and stay in nightclubs till much later.

Its a fair point regarding the staffing issue and general clean up of the city but I think it will work OK. I'd imagine this has been lobbied for so it won't come as too big of a shock to publicans and the council.

Hopefully it will make it a bit easier to get taxis home after a night out. The post pandemic lack of taxis has really put me off venturing in town for a few pints.
It’s great to have the option. It would be great to go to a decent pub at 4am ,it is good for tourism ,ie conferences and that ,
Down side is that you’d need chemical assistance to stay up til 6 on a regular basis ,with out proper policing and stricter public order it’s literally an open door for the dealers ,
Most other countries that have more liberal hours still have issues attracting people sun to thur ,and these hours have not stopped the decimation of good venues in Europe , on the other hand Friday and Saturday could be legendary ,and let’s face it that’s where the business is ,on the other hand none of us have extra cash to go the distance more than once or twice a year (Jesus imagine Cheltenham)

It will find a level .and at least stop the practice of s blind eye being shown to some operators at the expense of others ,this I welcome ,

There is an interesting regulatory trap here where many pubs,venues or what ever may have to make an awful lot of improvements in fire safety to be able to open late ,many will opt not too ,also the insurance landscape Will make it unviable ,

If the Gov Are serious and I believe they have good intentions in this matter we need the extra Gardai and extra busses and cans for this ,the idea that late opening will make it easier to get home is incorrect ,
The middle classes in S county Dublin heading for binges in Berlin or the Dam would not dare be seen yoked off their heads in a late club in Dublin or cork ,but they are largely driving the agenda ,but what does it leave us with ,the young and the stag parties ,
All taken into account though it’s long overdue and will have surprising outcomes ,
Sure I’d be up anyway.

It’s great to have the option. It would be great to go to a decent pub at 4am ,it is good for tourism ,ie conferences and that ,
Down side is that you’d need chemical assistance to stay up til 6 on a regular basis ,with out proper policing and stricter public order it’s literally an open door for the dealers ,
Most other countries that have more liberal hours still have issues attracting people sun to thur ,and these hours have not stopped the decimation of good venues in Europe , on the other hand Friday and Saturday could be legendary ,and let’s face it that’s where the business is ,on the other hand none of us have extra cash to go the distance more than once or twice a year (Jesus imagine Cheltenham)

It will find a level .and at least stop the practice of s blind eye being shown to some operators at the expense of others ,this I welcome ,

There is an interesting regulatory trap here where many pubs,venues or what ever may have to make an awful lot of improvements in fire safety to be able to open late ,many will opt not too ,also the insurance landscape Will make it unviable ,

If the Gov Are serious and I believe they have good intentions in this matter we need the extra Gardai and extra busses and cans for this ,the idea that late opening will make it easier to get home is incorrect ,
The middle classes in S county Dublin heading for binges in Berlin or the Dam would not dare be seen yoked off their heads in a late club in Dublin or cork ,but they are largely driving the agenda ,but what does it leave us with ,the young and the stag parties ,
All taken into account though it’s long overdue and will have surprising outcomes ,
Sure I’d be up anyway.
And on the cleanup,
You are responsible for the rubbish or gawk or whatever on the pavement outside your premises ,it is unbelievable that businesses whether pubs or chippers do send people out to sweep up after themselves ,this needs to be enforced ,certain streets are very embarrassing on a Sunday morning in particular

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼