Premier League Hall of Fame

Thierry #1, no debate here

https://theathletic.com/news/alan-shearer-thierry-henry-premier-league-hall-of-fame/L2glJeHe3aPM

Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry have become the first players to be inducted into the Premier League Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame is a new award which recognises the achievements of exceptional professionals who have featured in the league since its inception in 1992.

The Premier League views it as the highest individual honour a player can receive.

Why has Shearer been selected?
Shearer is still the Premier League's highest ever scorer with a record 260 goals in 441 appearances across 14 seasons.

In the 1994-1995 season, he won his first title with Blackburn Rovers under Kenny Dalglish and during his 10-year spell at Newcastle he netted 148 times in the top flight from 1996 to 2006.

No other player has recorded 100 Premier League goals for two different clubs.

The former England international is also a three-time Golden Boot winner.

What did Henry achieve in the Premier League?

Henry moved to Arsenal from Juventus in 1999 and was instrumental in the ‘Invincibles' team who were undefeated in their 2003-04 title-winning campaign.

He still holds the record for the number of Golden Boot awards with four to his name and scored a club-record 175 Premier League goals in 258 appearances for Arsenal.

Between 2001 and 2006 he scored more than 20 Premier League goals in five consecutive seasons.

What did Shearer say?
Shearer said: “When you look at some of the unbelievable players to have graced the Premier League - week in, week out, year in, year out - I feel very honoured to join the Hall of Fame. I have to thank all of my team-mates, as well as the managers and coaches that I've worked with.

“All I ever wanted to be was a professional footballer. It was my dream to do that, my dream to win trophies and my dream to score at St James' Park, to wear the number nine black-and-white shirt and it was fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it.”

What about Henry?
Henry said: “To be inducted alongside Alan Shearer as the two first inductees into the Premier League Hall of Fame is more than special.

“When I was young, I was just trying to make sure I could get a pair of boots and now we're talking about the Hall of Fame. During my career I wanted to play hard and make sure I was fighting for the cause, because that's all the fans want to see.

“If you asked me at the start of my career about entering the Hall of Fame, I wouldn't have believed you. It's an amazing honour.”

Will anyone else be inducted?
Yes, an additional shortlist of nominees will be announced on Sky Sports' television programme at 6pm BST.

Fans will then be invited to vote and help choose six other former players to join the Hall of Fame.

Who can enter the Hall of Fame?
Players must have been retired as of 1 August 2020 to be eligible for this year's selection and only their Premier League career is taken into consideration.

Each inductee will receive a personalised medallion, engraved with the year of their induction.

Is there anything else I need to know?
Yes, The Athletic's writers voted Shearer and Henry as the top two players for The Premier League 60, a list designed to reflect and honour the greatest players to have graced and illuminated the English top flight in the modern era.

Thoroughly deserved.

Keane/Rooney/Lampard/Giggs/Vieira/Gerrard/Rio/Schmeichel to make up the top 10.

Van Dijk, Hendo and Trent can count themselves very hard done by but I have to be objective and look at longevity.

Can't argue with either. They were always going to go with an Englishman, a relatively high profile "foreign" second choice was always on the cards too.

Voting players in from the fans is just nonsense.
Arsenal fans love a vote, they'll have Luhzny and Parlour in there in no time.

My bollocks you can’t argue with it.

One team has won more EPL’s than any other teams combined and they’re not represented in the first entries.

Kiss my arse :lol!:

Eric should have been the first entry in, no questions asked.

My bollocks you can’t argue with it.

One team has won more EPL’s than any other teams combined and they’re not represented in the first entries.

Kiss my arse :lol!:

Eric should have been the first entry in, no questions asked.

Dier needs to decide whether he is a centre half or a midfielder before he can be included in any discussions m8.

Dier needs to decide whether he is a centre half or a midfielder before he can be included in any discussions m8.

Look m8, in any decently run HOF, it would start in chronological order.

Marciano before Ali, Ali before Tyson etc. Not a comment on who is the best.

And I think you should have to have won the damn thing at least once to get in too. I mean, Gary Mason isn't in the heavyweight champions hall of fame.

and neither should Slippy G be in this.

Eric was the first superstar of the EPL. He's number one. The rest can follow.

Look m8, in any decently run HOF, it would start in chronological order.

Marciano before Ali, Ali before Tyson etc. Not a comment on who is the best.

And I think you should have to have won the damn thing at least once to get in too. I mean, Gary Mason isn't in the heavyweight champions hall of fame.

and neither should Slippy G be in this.

Eric was the first superstar of the EPL. He's number one. The rest can follow.

The show will be on Sky ... Henry works for Sky.
Steve Claridge and his new dodgy wig must be excited at whats coming down the line to him.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

26th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼