Premier Intermediate football 2021

Is it just as simple as renaming the grades?

In which case you could go senior, intermediate, Premier Junior, Junior & Novice

Is it just as simple as renaming the grades?

In which case you could go senior, intermediate, Premier Junior, Junior & Novice
Something like that. I know the 12 team grades have worked ok in Cork (far better than previous system) but it kills things a bit in munster Intermediate and Junior when the winners of 3rd tier and 5th tier have to face Intermediate and Junior champions from other counties. Kerry especially. As said above, if Mallow were in Intermediate and Newmarket in Junior, then they'd have a huge chance of success. It's nobody's fault but down the line this probably needs looking at in terms of the bigger picture?

Been spoken of before in several quarters but a possible structure like:
Senior championship of 16 teams (plus whatever 2 divisions come through round robin to join at quarter final)
Call the next grade Intermediate with 16 teams
Premier Junior with 16 teams
That's 48 teams in your top 3 grades. (There's 52 between top grades now so you'd be dropping 4) Winners of those on a much better footing going in Munster campaigns. At Senior I think there needs to be more than 12 teams in the top tier. If it was thought that there wasn't the strength of club teams to make every group of 4 competitive, then play off divisions/colleges round robin early in year and whichever 2 teams come through go into groups. You could arrange fixtures so that if say, Duhallow come through, Rockchapel, Kanturk, Millstreet, Dromtariffe played on Friday night and Duhallow Sunday. Don't see why that couldn't be done. Or say in Rd1, those teams play on Friday, in Rd2 it's Duhallow (or another division) who have to play on Friday. So you're not throwing a load of just Intermediate and Premier Junior games on Friday. It can be done in a fair manner.
(I'm not going to go into the issue of colleges in Senior championship, but even with all my bias towards my alma mater, unless UCC stop putting out teams full of non-Cork players then it's going to be hard to justify keeping them in the thing. I went to the UCC v Muskerry game this year and my records show 15 of the 19 players UCC used were from outside Cork. That can't continue in my opinion. The techies in fairness have put out some very strong teams largely comprised of Cork lads in recent years.)

Issue at the other end then of course is you're dropping some clubs from current IAFC to Divisions. In case of Adrigole for example, if they drop. They'd play Urhan in Beara JAFC and that's that. So it's a huge disadvantage. Which is why Kevin O'Donovan has raised this issue recently and spoken about all-county Junior league and other solutions.

I think the above and a few other things could lead to a serious improvement in standards and while there are drawbacks, they are totally outweighed in my view by what you would gain. But change comes dropping slow in Cork GAA as most here know!

One of the things mentioned by Kevin O’Donovan was the requirements to restructure the Junior grade if they plan on pressing ahead with regrading some intermediate teams. Spoke of the unfairness that one team might have to get the better of 20 teams in their division to face an opponent who had no divisional opposition. Also spoke of the need to restructure the leagues following from the change in championship structure

Something like that. I know the 12 team grades have worked ok in Cork (far better than previous system) but it kills things a bit in munster Intermediate and Junior when the winners of 3rd tier and 5th tier have to face Intermediate and Junior champions from other counties. Kerry especially. As said above, if Mallow were in Intermediate and Newmarket in Junior, then they'd have a huge chance of success. It's nobody's fault but down the line this probably needs looking at in terms of the bigger picture?

Been spoken of before in several quarters but a possible structure like:
Senior championship of 16 teams (plus whatever 2 divisions come through round robin to join at quarter final)
Call the next grade Intermediate with 16 teams
Premier Junior with 16 teams
That's 48 teams in your top 3 grades. (There's 52 between top grades now so you'd be dropping 4) Winners of those on a much better footing going in Munster campaigns. At Senior I think there needs to be more than 12 teams in the top tier. If it was thought that there wasn't the strength of club teams to make every group of 4 competitive, then play off divisions/colleges round robin early in year and whichever 2 teams come through go into groups. You could arrange fixtures so that if say, Duhallow come through, Rockchapel, Kanturk, Millstreet, Dromtariffe played on Friday night and Duhallow Sunday. Don't see why that couldn't be done. Or say in Rd1, those teams play on Friday, in Rd2 it's Duhallow (or another division) who have to play on Friday. So you're not throwing a load of just Intermediate and Premier Junior games on Friday. It can be done in a fair manner.
(I'm not going to go into the issue of colleges in Senior championship, but even with all my bias towards my alma mater, unless UCC stop putting out teams full of non-Cork players then it's going to be hard to justify keeping them in the thing. I went to the UCC v Muskerry game this year and my records show 15 of the 19 players UCC used were from outside Cork. That can't continue in my opinion. The techies in fairness have put out some very strong teams largely comprised of Cork lads in recent years.)

Issue at the other end then of course is you're dropping some clubs from current IAFC to Divisions. In case of Adrigole for example, if they drop. They'd play Urhan in Beara JAFC and that's that. So it's a huge disadvantage. Which is why Kevin O'Donovan has raised this issue recently and spoken about all-county Junior league and other solutions.

I think the above and a few other things could lead to a serious improvement in standards and while there are drawbacks, they are totally outweighed in my view by what you would gain. But change comes dropping slow in Cork GAA as most here know!
Some very good points there, really sensible.
Hard to get an ideal system in a county as big as Cork but going to 16 per grade would be possible if you wanted to rename things. It would be nice for any Cork team winning a county to get a good shot in the Munster club. Kerry are really playing the system. A team with the biggest football tradition in the country with only 8 club teams at senior is a joke

Also just on another point it was actually 11 players out of 19 that ucc used from outside the county vs Muskerry. So not as much as 15 but still more than half

UCC is one of our oldest clubs and are in the championship by right. A time may come as in UCD in the Dublin championships where they are no longer interested.

UCC is one of our oldest clubs and are in the championship by right. A time may come as in UCD in the Dublin championships where they are no longer interested.
Their years are probably numbered I'd say.
But I think they deserve credit for the respect they've shown the championship, always fielding a team in both codes even in recent years when certain divisions and cit have not entered in particular championships

Very good discussion on this lads, all making valid points.

I think it should be as simple as keeping the same grades but just changing their names.

Premier Senior 》Senior
Senior A 》Premier Intermediate
Premier Intermediate》Intermediate A
Intermediate A 》Premier Junior
Junior A 》Junior A
Junior B 》Junior B
Junior C 》Junior C

This would mean the likes of Mallow and Kanturk would get a chance in the Munster Intermediate championships and then the likes of Iveleary and Castlemartyr would get a chance to play in the Junior Championship. I left out the Lower Intermediate hurling grade as that will be scrapped next year.

no its not i was just showing the unfairness in the competition and is it fair that the 9th best team in kerry play the 13th best team in clare.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Ride
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

4th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼