Premier Intermediate football 2021

It would be nice for any Cork team winning a county to get a good shot in the Munster club. Kerry are really playing the system. A team with the biggest football tradition in the country with only 8 club teams at senior is a joke
Wasn't that system in Kerry before the Intermediate and Junior All-Ireland series came in?
It's not like the club series came in and they changed the whole structure to maximize their chances of winning.

Exactly. The whole aim in Kerry is to keep the SFC as high quality as possible. Hence the amount of divisional team emphasis and the fewer club teams. A knock on effect is that Inter and Junior Club winners are stronger, but the only aims are keeping the Senior championship as strong as possible and giving every single player in the county the opportunity to participate in it. There’s a review at the moment and it’s quite likely it will go from 8 to 10 clubs in Senior. That probably makes sense. No point moaning about a Kerry system that’s designed to suit Kerry. As I’ve said here the Cork structures could be tweaked easily in such a way to make it much more advantageous for Cork clubs. And with the numbers of players and clubs in Cork 12 teams for Premier championship is small also.

UCD did not lose interest……there were plenty of reasons they don’t play in the Dublin championship anymore
in hurling UCD won the shc in 04 & 05(mainly staffed with Kilkenny and Tipperary intercounty minors and U21s), they and everyone else realised they could win it every year if they tried so they just pulled out(as reigining champions i think). As it turned out both Ballyboden, who had a very strong team around 10 years ago and of course,Cuala in recent years would have been a good match for them i think. Football is more competitive and after winning two championships in the early 2000s they continued in the championship. However to me they seemed disinterested often struggling to get a team on the pitch although the championship was normally played out in Sep & Oct which should have suited them. Not sure when they last participated.

Newmarket beaten by Corofin 0.11 to 1.14 having led narrowly for much of the game, Na Gaeil also won by 4 having been run close by Drom and Inch up to last 10 mins,

Poor result for Newmarket. Expected them to win that comfortably. Perhaps the county win was celebrated to excess, which would be understandable to a degree but they still should be beating Corofin.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼