Potential Presidential Candidates

Yeah some of them are airheads, but then again there seem to be airhead politicians in all of the political parties too.

I don't think Brolly, Ervine, Creedon, Twomey, or Duggan are airheads - far from it in fact. But it annoys me that for some our Presidency is seen as a kind of retirement home for some party politician who's "done his bit" for his party and they want to row in behind him and try have him/her installed in the Park as some kind of reward for being a good party member rather than for the job they'd likely do as President.

I'd also leave the voting open to anyone over 18 with a current valid Irish passport 😎

Both our current fella and Robinson were party members considered too radical for party politics.

As has been said, the Irish presidency represents the morals and ideals of the Irish public. So thank Christ we didn't get that bald fucker with the shirts.

Yeah some of them are airheads, but then again there seem to be airhead politicians in all of the political parties too.

I don't think Brolly, Ervine, Creedon, Twomey, or Duggan are airheads - far from it in fact. But it annoys me that for some our Presidency is seen as a kind of retirement home for some party politician who's "done his bit" for his party and they want to row in behind him and try have him/her installed in the Park as some kind of reward for being a good party member rather than for the job they'd likely do as President.

I'd also leave the voting open to anyone over 18 with a current valid Irish passport 😎
There isn't really much scope for innovation in the job of president. When Mary Robinson was elected, she was all 'gonna show there's more to the job than opening sports centres'.

A couple of years later, she was opening sports centres to beat the band.

Michael D has been pushing the envelope on what he is allowed to say but the political class pretty much ignore him.

My tip would be Fergus Finlay. I think he was considering it last time but he wouldn't go up against Michael D.

I'm struggling to think of any other countries with figurehead presidents like ours. The majority of colonies stayed in the commonwealth so didn't have to replace the Queen with a figurehead of their own.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Gay Agenda

The White Horse, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼