Phrases you've picked up from pop culture

Kibosh is almost definitely not Irish.

Was it macuilse who was also trying to claim Anne Boleyn was Irish?

Pretty much everything he/she posts is arse backwards.

Sounds more Yiddish than anything else. I read some where recently that the African American slang word 'Dig' is meant to be derived from the Irish to understand (I'm not even going to attempt to try and spell it as I speak fuck all Irish)

I seriously, seriously doubt that. Another one that cracks me up is often trotted out line that Drogheda have a crescent moon and star of Islam on their coat of arms because some Ottoman Sultan sent over grub during the famine. Utter tosh , for a start it isn't even a Islamic crescent and star on their coat of arms. + I very much doubt some Turkish lad in the 1800's gave a fuck about what was going on Ireland , not to mind even heard of the place.

Sounds more Yiddish than anything else. I read some where recently that the African American slang word 'Dig' is meant to be derived from the Irish to understand (I'm not even going to attempt to try and spell it as I speak fuck all Irish)

I seriously, seriously doubt that. Another one that cracks me up is often trotted out line that Drogheda have a crescent moon and star of Islam on their coat of arms because some Ottoman Sultan sent over grub during the famine. Utter tosh , for a start it isn't even a Islamic crescent and star on their coat of arms. + I very much doubt some Turkish lad in the 1800's gave a fuck about what was going on Ireland , not to mind even heard of the place.

Where did "tosh" come from?

Probably old Irish.

The earliest citation is in Dickens. Looks Yiddish, but its original appearance in a piece set in the heavily Irish "Seven Dials" neighborhood in the West End of London seems to argue against this.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Easter Beer Festival

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 1pm

More events ▼