Party Advice

VzN

Hey everyone. I'm currently living in London, but hope to move to Cork after I've finished Sixth Form and then my degree at University. I feel slightly stupid, but I'm not sure which party is for me. I've read lots about Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Sinn Fein but I don't really know much about what they stand for today. I know Fianna Fail have been dominant for years, but reading some stuff about them portrays them negatively. Sinn Fein are obviously a massive part of Irish history but they seem to lack support in the Republic.

Anyone willing to help enlighten me with regards to current Irish politics?

You havent stated anything even close to a political persuasion so its going to very difficult for us to suggest a party other than the one we have a preference for ourselves.

An English person joining Sinn Fein would raise a few eyebrows. Youll have to listen to a lot of (often justified) truths about British imperialism which you might be uncomfortable with. A penchant for Celtic would also help.

We have a Green party and a Labour party here too as well as one seat (previously six seat) right leaning party called the Progressive democrats.

We're wealthy now so personalities matter as much if not more than policies. There's virtually nothing between most of the main parties.

I'm not at all a fan of British Imperialism. In fact, I am ashamed of British history. I feel that Easter 1916 etc is more my history than anything in British history. I'm British only by birth; Irish by the grace of God. And from what I've looked up, Sinn Fein look quite good - honest (compared to most politicians lol) and left wing, caring about the people.

Sinn Fein are obviously a massive part of Irish history but they seem to lack support in the Republic.
I'd be wary there! SF of today has little relation to the SF of the past.

Anyway Ireland is still fairly babyish with its politics, most people seem to vote the way their parents did.

Yeah, I know they are different, but Fianna Fail and Fine Gael seem more right wing then centrist and Sinn Fein look like they can make a real and good difference for Ireland.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Carsie Blanton
The White Horse, Ballincollig

13th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼