ParkCide reaches Atlantic Pond

It is quite a while since I parked at that end. And never can again. We wanted to start there rather than The Pier, to see the new SkateBoard and MudWrestling space. We may use the word Marina meaning different things. Mine is the previous road from Shandon Boat Club/Meitheal Mara Parking area to Blackrock Pier. As I said I parked in the Shandon Boat Club zone. That is the nearest I found. The road from there to Blackrock seems nearly pedestrianised, and I have never seen anyone park on it recently or when it was a road. It is too narrow to allow parking. My story remains factual. 30 plus parking spots AT The Atlantic Pond have been removed. They have been replaced by an access route to the Stadium, accessible only when the GAA remove their barriers. Do you regard this as an improvement? A good use of Public Money and The Law? Perhaps you like near there and don't want visitors from other parts of the City ? Are you in favour of the GAA Land Grab? Do you have any problem with the destruction of the trees on the island by the GAA's filthy works?

Last edited:
You seem to have an issue with the GAA.
Are you talking about the parking around the stadium by the Atlantic Pond accessed from the slipway on the Uncovered Stand (North Stand) side? The last time I didn't see the barrier was when PUC was being used for vaccinations during the Summer.

Yes I have as do the Save Marina Park cohort. But my claim here is very specific. A Parking Area has been removed, in favour of a GAA access route, normally blocked by bollards. Do you disagree on the facts here ? The link I provided, a Satellite photograph, clearly shows the Parking area I used to use. It was there, it is gone, removed, blocked with removable barriers. I have answered your questions. Please reciprocate.

I agree there is a barrier that used not be there in years gone by. But it has been there since the redevelopment and presumably can only be there legally - i.e. if it wasn't legal it would have been objected to by now and removed.

It is quite a while since I parked at that end. And never can again. We wanted to start there rather than The Pier, to see the new SkateBoard and MudWrestling space. We may use the word Marina meaning different things. Mine is the previous road from Shandon Boat Club/Meitheal Mara Parking area to Blackrock Pier. As I said I parked in the Shandon Boat Club zone. That is the nearest I found. The road from there to Blackrock seems nearly pedestrianised, and I have never seen anyone park on it recently or when it was a road. It is too narrow to allow parking. My story remains factual. 30 plus parking spots AT The Atlantic Pond have been removed. They have been replaced by an access route to the Stadium, accessible only when the GAA remove their barriers. Do you regard this as an improvement? A good use of Public Money and The Law? Perhaps you like near there and don't want visitors from other parts of the City ? Are you in favour of the GAA Land Grab? Do you have any problem with the destruction of the trees on the island by the GAA's filthy works?
You’ve gone from 40 spaces to 30 spaces now.
Yet the map you posted has even less.
That’s been closed off for at least 2 years I’d say.

The Marina has no parking. There was a 40-50 space parking area at the Atlantic Pond. It is now gone. Shandon Boat Club Parking is much more than 10 minutes walk away. My story actually happened. If you do not believe it, well, that is a faith based choice, so vaya con dios.
There is a massive new Car Park that goes right up to Shandon Boat Club
Marina-Car-Park-Aug-2020.jpg

Marina-Car-Park-Oct-2020-Centre-Pk-map.jpg

Would you not be happier just going for a long drive if you are concerned about parking and walking?

You’ve gone from 40 spaces to 30 spaces now.
Yet the map you posted has even less.
That’s been closed off for at least 2 years I’d say.
He has 250 brand new safe parking spaces and still not happy.

Marina Park Phase 1.

The works will include hard and soft landscaped items, site clearance, adjustment of existing site levels (to form new water storage basins), surface water runoff drainage, diversion of an existing watercourse (complete with associated wiers), new pathways (both trafficked and non-trafficked), sand blasted concrete, resin bonded paving, natural stone paving, brushed concrete and a timber gantry walkway. It will also include provision and installation of park furniture, site lighting, rising main, water feature and all associated mechanical and electrical services.

A new 250 space car park with associated road and shared cycling / pedestrian path is to be provided along the existing marina, adjoining the Shandon Boat Club. The car parking bays are to consist of grasscrete. There will be some relocation and / or undergrounding of Electrical Lamp Standards and poles. The park will have an open framed steel structure, partially roofed and wall cladded that will house individual pod like structures including toilet facilities and a coffee shop (neither part of the contract but will be provided for with services.

There is a massive new Car Park that goes right up to Shandon Boat Club
Marina-Car-Park-Aug-2020.jpg

Marina-Car-Park-Oct-2020-Centre-Pk-map.jpg

Would you not be happier just going for a long drive if you are concerned about parking and walking?
At the height of summer, there is always a space to be found.
I’ve never parked anywhere near the boat club.
They’ve actually added parking spaces in this area.
The picture he posted had 13 spaces, not 30 or 40.

There is no Parking in your quoted Planlet Great for Skateboarding and Electric Scooters. Not so great for walking or running really. Also there are Architectural Wet Dreams where kids don't fall off barrier less bridges and where earth and water happily meet without turning to swamp.
I walks there most days Centre Park Road, Marina Market down the Marina as far as the Castle or beyond or the old railway line walk and it is jammed with walkers, joggers, roller bladers, skateboarders, parents with buggies and young children etc all safely relaxed as there is no traffic.

Kennedy Quay is also full of cars parked and using the car-free safe amenity.

There are even 250 new car parking spaces there right on the water at Shandon Boat Club with the Marina Greenway Car Park.

There is more to life than acres of asphalt and traffic so park your car and go for a nice walk along the peaceful environment rather than trying to park or drive on it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

29th Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Prophet Song: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼