Old Cork Photos

Back to normal buisness now..ignore the nigerian or north korean or russisn or whatever scammer.

Amazing pic of both the train..gone.. and the bridge..still there but modified.

When did the train traffic between the statiinnand quays end? 1970s?
Ended mid to late 70's

Yup, can remember going to the Eglantine baths - thruppeny bit (silver rabbit or greenybrown hexagon with a portcullis) to get in past the turnstiles - and having to get across the cut before the train. Or watching trains pull in to the station as you queued for the baths. More innocent times in the late 1960s early 1970s.
Almost a mirror image of my memories of that time and place. You could fek off for the day with a few lads and nobody wondered where you were. They knew you'd be back for grub.

Patrick Hanley buildings built in 1955. This is the very first house next to Matt Talbot Hall is number 7 and goes up to number 22 I think from memory. Houses or flats 1 to 6 at on Peter St around the corner. My family home is one of them houses we had a fantastic childhood growing up there. There is still a strong community spirit there and I would highly recommend any true corkonian to venture inside Matt Talbot hall for a coffee and to view the history of the area that’s inside.

I ain’t no Norrie & I ain’t no Sorry, I’m a bog man, deep down it’s where I come from.
031B5F74-7E03-4400-9AD3-34D0AA6F81E4.jpeg
Grattan St 1991 Bonna Night
That’s me on the tractor tyre
That car park is full of apartments now

Growing up as a street urchin in a concrete jungle seeing a green space or garden was nonexistent. Don’t hold it against me. I had no choice.
I am not, not at all.

Lot to be said for not having to mow the bloody grass.

A repetitive bloody job that is never completed unless you concrete the bloody thing over.

I have many thousands of B&W negs of pictures in storage albums vacuum packed in the attic. Many of Cork decades ago. I'm never going to look at them, too many memories. Whoever finds them after me will probably dispose of them.

I have many thousands of B&W negs of pictures in storage albums vacuum packed in the attic. Many of Cork decades ago. I'm never going to look at them, too many memories. Whoever finds them after me will probably dispose of them.
Dig them out and throw them up here, I am sure many would appreciate them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Rebel Frequencies Presents Songsmiths
The White Horse, Ballincollig

20th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Danny Ryan, Ray Harrington and Guests

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼