Old Cork Photos

I never heard that before. Perhaps long ago, if they were intending to land seaplanes as well. A site out in Midleton and the present location were the options back in the 50’s.

Was it in Midleton. I always heard east Cork, and thought it might have had something to do with historically sea-planes down there and a particular camp near Killeagh where the brits had been thinking of siting an airship. Had never heard Midleton named until now. Would be interested in any info you'd have on that.

Was it in Midleton. I always heard east Cork, and thought it might have had something to do with historically sea-planes down there and a particular camp near Killeagh where the brits had been thinking of siting an airship. Had never heard Midleton named until now. Would be interested in any info you'd have on that.
That was Aghada
1664870186840.png
1664870242643.png
1664870272432.png
Aghada 1918

The original recommended site was near Midleton.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20145214.html

Yup, that's what I had in mind - there's a plaque about it in the new park on Haulbowline.

And I believe the place where the airships were being planned for was where you can still see a big water tower to the north of the the Cork-Youghal Road.

It would be interesting to know precisely where in east Cork had been earmarked for the airport

You are correct it was Killeagh, but was shelved after the end of WW1 but two hangers were partially constructed for the airships.

The original recommended site was near Midleton.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20145214.html

Thanks Stan, I always wondered where. Interesting to see it was right by the harbour (according to Google Map search of Ahanesk) which may (or may not) have had some historic links to the sea-plane know how in east Cork.

Think it made more sense to site the airport closer to the city, but north of the river closer to other potential customers of wahfud, tipp etc. Maybe around Glaunthane (sp?) Carraigtwohill?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sister Act The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼