Old Cork Photos

My relative who was a friend of his brother told me that the bomb went off when they were setting it up, that thing about Flannerys and the 24 hour clock grew arms and legs. Also they went there to blow up the monument the night before DeValera was to unveil it to embarrass him not to kill him.

Never heard the "went back after a few pints" story before either. Very doubtful that's what happened tbh.

More likely the 12 hr rather than 24 hr timer did for them. And the fact that the explosion was heard at 3AM would gel with that. Though they may have had drink on board when they set it.

That photo reminds me of a story I was told about those unusual steps by a relative of the person involved.

During War of Independence after curfew this chap McGrath was out and about and he was called on a patrol to stop. He legged it turned the corner and he ran up the steps and lay flat behind the little wall at the top. The patrol came around the corner passed and he could hear them wonder aloud where he'd gone, or if indeed he'd turned up Wellington Road at all.

Never heard the "went back after a few pints" story before either. Very doubtful that's what happened tbh.

More likely the 12 hr rather than 24 hr timer did for them. And the fact that the explosion was heard at 3AM would gel with that. Though they may have had drink on board when they set it.
Spoken like an expert.

Can you imagine going back checking on a primed bomb half scuttered
How do know the pub crap was waffle
One thing is it was 1963, could be wrong but the 24 clock timer thing came in with the digital age. Couldn't imagine tham going back "to check" on a primed explosive half scuttered.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

3 Of A Kind

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼