Old Cork Photos

Thanks Stan, I always wondered where. Interesting to see it was right by the harbour (according to Google Map search of Ahanesk) which may (or may not) have had some historic links to the sea-plane know how in east Cork.

Think it made more sense to site the airport closer to the city, but north of the river closer to other potential customers of wahfud, tipp etc. Maybe around Glaunthane (sp?) Carraigtwohill?

cheers Soundy

(This, below, is a post I grabbed from our knowledgeable friends on Skyscraper City)

Sites in contention were Ahanesk (couple of miles outside Midleton on the Cork side) and the now current airport location (Ballygarvan).

Research was done a couple of years (for the history of Cork airport book) to check if political interference or brown envelopes was involved when choosing the site. No proof was ever found.

The reason Ballygarvan (current location) was chosen over Ahanesk (Midleton area) is fully outlined in an independent expert's report discussed in an Oireachtas debate (1955):
"Ballygarvan was selected because it was reported to be superior to any other possible site in the Cork area in respect of proximity to Cork City, suitability of ground for [518] the necessary runways, clearness of approach and feasibility of
installing lighting and radio aids. It was reported that on the Ahanesk site the grades on the runways would be severe as the ground is undulating, and that the approaches from the north and north-east, which pass over a range of hills attaining a height of 600 feet, would frequently be hazardous in the weather conditions prevalent in the area. Meteorological conditions at Ballygarvan were found to be less favourable than at Ahanesk, but any disparity between the two sites which arises from meteorological conditions can be nullified to a great extent by the use of up-to-date navigation and radio aids."

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/1955-11-09/11/

The site location was agreed on by both FG and FF at the time, except for a Deputy Corry who represented the Midleton area :)

Thanks Stan, I always wondered where. Interesting to see it was right by the harbour (according to Google Map search of Ahanesk) which may (or may not) have had some historic links to the sea-plane know how in east Cork.

Think it made more sense to site the airport closer to the city, but north of the river closer to other potential customers of wahfud, tipp etc. Maybe around Glaunthane (sp?) Carraigtwohill?
The airport planned for east cork would be just north of Castlemartyr near Mogeely. It was the perfect location especially when there was no radar. I also saw plans for a private airport there during the Celtic Tiger but it never came to fruition

I never heard that before. Perhaps long ago, if they were intending to land seaplanes as well. A site out in Midleton and the present location were the options back in the 50’s.
May sound strange but I remember hearing that Whitechurch was considered an area for the airport?...only reason I can think of is cause its an elevated area..dunno if that makes sense...hard to imagine I suppose

The airport’s location is ideal.

A dual carriageway connection to the N40 eliminating the traffic lights at the Kinsale Road Roundabout would be the job.
Make it a motorway as well to prevent cyclists from using it.

cheers Soundy

(This, below, is a post I grabbed from our knowledgeable friends on Skyscraper City)

Sites in contention were Ahanesk (couple of miles outside Midleton on the Cork side) and the now current airport location (Ballygarvan).

Research was done a couple of years (for the history of Cork airport book) to check if political interference or brown envelopes was involved when choosing the site. No proof was ever found.

The reason Ballygarvan (current location) was chosen over Ahanesk (Midleton area) is fully outlined in an independent expert's report discussed in an Oireachtas debate (1955):
"Ballygarvan was selected because it was reported to be superior to any other possible site in the Cork area in respect of proximity to Cork City, suitability of ground for [518] the necessary runways, clearness of approach and feasibility of
installing lighting and radio aids. It was reported that on the Ahanesk site the grades on the runways would be severe as the ground is undulating, and that the approaches from the north and north-east, which pass over a range of hills attaining a height of 600 feet, would frequently be hazardous in the weather conditions prevalent in the area. Meteorological conditions at Ballygarvan were found to be less favourable than at Ahanesk, but any disparity between the two sites which arises from meteorological conditions can be nullified to a great extent by the use of up-to-date navigation and radio aids."

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/1955-11-09/11/

The site location was agreed on by both FG and FF at the time, except for a Deputy Corry who represented the Midleton area :)
Foggiest airport location in Europe

May sound strange but I remember hearing that Whitechurch was considered an area for the airport?...only reason I can think of is cause its an elevated area..dunno if that makes sense...hard to imagine I suppose

Tommy Gould was the one behind that! An airport for de Narth Side so Maj,Steph & Stella can fly off to Lanza with their fella's without having to cross over to the Southside.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼