Official Champions League 21/22 Thread

Happy it’s Real as they’re the biggest club in the world with a proper pedigree in the competition AND most people with a knowledge of the sport will see that they just aren’t as good as city, despite the result.

Liverpool will have a better chance of beating Real than City. Losing to Real would be a lot easier to take than losing to City.
I was happy to see City lose as it means that while Man City successfully bought the appeal of their 2 year ban for financial doping, Pep and the players sportingly upheld the ban.

I think Liverpool would have beaten Man City as Pep and the Man City players always bottle it v English teams in the CL as Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea have found out.

For the final, if Liverpool go 1-0 up, they shouldn't bother going for a 2nd, all Real Madrid's miracle comebacks have come when they've been 2 or more goals down, either on aggregate or on the night.

Big selection quandary for Ancelotti. Go with the stars of the Man City comeback, the subs Rodrygo and Camavinga or experience. I'd fear the youngsters far more.

FSZucPqX0AkZqxG

Very useful thread on the practical implications of this.

Looks like the smaller nations like Netherlands benefiting from this will be the exception rather than the rule.

Here's who would have benefited if this was in place for the previous 5 seasons

2020-21: England, Spain
2019-20: Spain, Germany
2018-19: England, Spain
2017-18: England, Spain
2016-17: Spain, England

The new formula sounds horrific tbh.

See posts on twitter blaming UEFA for this, but it's the clubs who are behind this bullshit. This new format is the ESL by the back door.

Over the next ten years or so watch the big clubs and Bumnal squeeze more and more concessions from UEFA so that it's impossibile for the ESL clubs not to be in the CL regardless of merit.

I hope attendances and TV viewing figures plummet for the early rounds. I've yet to meet a single fan, online or IRL who is in favour of this crap.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼