O2 coming out with very high speed mobile broadband (MPRP)

O2 coming out with very high speed mobile broadband (MPRP)

(MPRP- mobile phone related post)
I've seen a lot of stuff on this, it definitely works, and not just in theory. Slightly suprised it's in a years time to be honest, I thought they were more advanced in their construction of this network than that:
3G' data network by Q3 06
Genuine broadband download speeds
By Tony Smith
Published Wednesday 9th November 2005 15:28 GMT
Get breaking Mobile news straight to your desktop - click here to find out how

O2 will roll out HSDPA across its national 3G networks by Q3 2006, the network operator has revealed.

The carrier has been testing HSDPA (High Speed Data Packet Access) technology on the Isle of Man, which also played host to its original 3G trials. Next year's roll-out will see the service launched in the UK, Germany and Ireland.
Click here

HSDPA upgrades 3G to improve the network's data performance, taking downloads speeds up to 1.4Mbps in its current form, though O2 is looking to improved data rates that should push 3.6Mbps by the time the technology goes live outside the Isle of Man. Upload speeds should hit 384Kbps from today's 128Kbps.

Come early 2008, and the download speed is set to rise to 7.3Mbps before hitting 10.2Mbps in late 2009.

The trial network became a commercial service run by O2 subsidiary Manx Telecom last week.

"This is the first super 3G network," said Dave Williams, O2's CTO. "It's the 3G we always wanted."

Initially the service will be delivered direct to PCs courtesy of HSDPA-equipped Sierra Wireless AirCard 850 PCMCIA cards. Williams claimed two unnamed notebook makers plan to integrate HSDPA into their machines next year. Handsets capable of accessing the faster download speeds are in the pipeline too. ®

Absolutely no good to anybody unless they do something about the pricing model.
3G downloads of data are pathetically expensive. A few MB and prepare for a ten euro bill (Vodafone).

Useless to anybody.
Per byte billling is theft.

Couldn't agree more. They're killing before it even gets a chance to take off.
Plus they'll want to restrict people to accessing content from their web portals unless you're a business customer.

ubernerd said:
Absolutely no good to anybody unless they do something about the pricing model.
3G downloads of data are pathetically expensive. A few MB and prepare for a ten euro bill (Vodafone).

Useless to anybody.
Per byte billling is theft.
Tis all about pricing models. HSDPA has a far lower per-byte cost associated with it, so data will be cheaper, much cheaper with it.
I can't find any proper info on it online, but I know that the per-byte cost is about 5 times less than standard 3G, and that's about 30 times less than standard GPRS.

Still not as cheap as it could be but that's next years projected prices. The problem is in the billions they paid for the network licences.

And on Nokia and mobile TV, I've seen a receiver working for the 7710, and that was 6 months ago, just last week they announced this phone, the N92:
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1606800,00.html
http://www.t3.co.uk/news/communications/mobile_phone/nokia_n92_delivers_digital_tv

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

The Off Beats

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼