No Parking = No City

1649753736292.png
Only 18% of retail revenue was generated by cars. Travelling by bus (39%) and walking (20%) generated more than half of Dublin retail income.
1649753835865.png
Compelling evidence that urban spaces with high quality public realm & enhanced walking & cycling facilities thrive socially & economically.
1649753869425.png

The provenance of such reports, or are they propaganda? is suspect. Stalky has an auto notice so it can reply contradicting absolutely every post I make. Do a search. Classic Troll. Cork City Centre is blatantly and obviously dying. Elsewhere such experiments started long ago and now Pedestrianisation and Parking Removal is being reversed in Cities which have gone full circle. Here in a City twinned with the Hills of San Francisco, belief in Cycle Lanes is patently absurd. Fundamentalist nonsense from the blathering Ryan and Boyle. I believe a cost benefit analysis would reveal kilometres of cycle lane almost unused. Glanmire FFS?

Only 18% of retail revenue was generated by cars. Travelling by bus (39%) and walking (20%) generated more than half of Dublin retail income.

Compelling evidence that urban spaces with high quality public realm & enhanced walking & cycling facilities thrive socially & economically.

Yeah people should simply get the light rail network, DART or tube into town.

Simples.

Endless need to have the last word in play.

This is why you still reply to Rebels on Covid or Silkbeard on Russia.

Give it a rest, Cork's public transport is crap. Phasing out car parking within walking distance of the city centre when there is no easy alternative is a hare brained initiative.

Keep arguing otherwise, it seems to be very important to you.

The provenance of such reports, or are they propaganda? is suspect. Stalky has an auto notice so it can reply contradicting absolutely every post I make. Do a search. Classic Troll. Cork City Centre is blatantly and obviously dying. Elsewhere such experiments started long ago and now Pedestrianisation and Parking Removal is being reversed in Cities which have gone full circle. Here in a City twinned with the Hills of San Francisco, belief in Cycle Lanes is patently absurd. Fundamentalist nonsense from the blathering Ryan and Boyle. I believe a cost benefit analysis would reveal kilometres of cycle lane almost unused. Glanmire FFS?
Hardly, how many days was it after your post? I don't even know why he bothers to show you up anyway as it is a given.

Stacey why do you think it relevant to give us the Melbourne Yarra and Stonington? The average rainfall in Melbourne is half that of Cork and central Melbourne looks a lot flatter too than Cork City, though admittedly it does get a lot higher much further out.

It would seem to me that bicycles in such climates and relatively flat city areas would be much more practical than here in Cork. Electric bikes and scooters might help in terms of negotiating some of our hills but the relatively high rainfall in Cork compared to your sample area makes it a bit redundant imho.

Stacey why do you think it relevant to give us the Melbourne Yarra and Stonington? The average rainfall in Melbourne is half that of Cork and central Melbourne looks a lot flatter too than Cork City, though admittedly it does get a lot higher much further out.

It would seem to me that bicycles in such climates and relatively flat city areas would be much more practical than here in Cork. Electric bikes and scooters might help in terms of negotiating some of our hills but the relatively high rainfall in Cork compared to your sample area makes it a bit redundant imho.
Have you ever been to Oslo,Prague or Budapest?

Yeah people should simply get the light rail network, DART or tube into town.

Simples.

Endless need to have the last word in play.

This is why you still reply to Rebels on Covid or Silkbeard on Russia.

Give it a rest, Cork's public transport is crap. Phasing out car parking within walking distance of the city centre when there is no easy alternative is a hare brained initiative.

Keep arguing otherwise, it seems to be very important to you.
Which of our many city centre multi-storey surface or indoor car parks are being "phased out"?

Dan?

Dan Dan can you name me one pedestrianised street in the city centre where the rate paying retailers want to go back to parking and traffic outside their shops?

Dan Dan?

There is a useful side effect to Stalky's lastworditis....... It keeps the topic visible on the forum! I have noted amongst my own pals that those who live in town really don't really appreciate how much of a pain in the arse the removal of Parking is. There is clearly a wish for coffee shops and gathering spaces, the Marina Market has been thronged. But there was a vast amount of Docks parking there. Albeit recently removed and policed by the APCOA Mercenaries... It seems absurd to see empty actual buildings in the real Centre, with everybody flocking into a grim Warehouse 500M away.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Love Buzz

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼