New docklands development

The plans for the Odlums building are truly horrific. The architect responsible wants a good funt up the hole.

iu

2755407_7_articleinlinemobile_south_20docks_202_1_.jpg

R&H Hall to be flattened too

"Unlike the Odlums building, there are major structural issues which make a viable re-purposing of the silo buildings impossible to achieve,” according to OCP.

Last edited:
The plans for the Odlums building are truly horrific. The architect responsible wants a good funt up the hole.

iu

Very good interpretation and re-use of this iconic building. The lightness of the double height glass box on top respects the original building without dominating it as the original façade is retained and restored.

Do we really need "S O U T H D O C K S" in giant letters?

The removal of the big concrete silos has also to be welcomed.

Ultimately these have to also work financially and the inclusion of the Orpea French hospital group is welcome.

Very good interpretation and re-use of this iconic building. The lightness of the double height glass box on top respects the original building without dominating it as the original façade is retained and restored.

Nah, its putrid.

Your taste is firmly in your ass if you think that is pleasing on the eye.

Nah, its putrid.

Your taste is firmly in your ass if you think that is pleasing on the eye.
It is actually very cleverly done and top marks to Henry J. Lyons and their conservation architectural team for once.

O.C.P. butchered their scheme on Lavitts Quay consuming an actual house and they also swallowed up Navigation House (a fine stone warehouse) on Albert Quay,

I really think the quality of the architect 's work in these firms is pathetic.

You can repurpose a building without completely destroying its aesthetic. To be clear I'm not in anyway against the redevelopment but that lacks any imagination or attempt to keep the character of the building whatsoever imo.

Great to see new life & a proposed end to dereliction there but for me the plans are uninspiring, mundane & lack creativity .

Not convinced about the R&H argument either.

Look at the repurposing of the old flour mill in Gateshead

iu

iu

Wrt to repurposing or developing old buildings in Cork, the extent of the imagination involved seems to go as far as plonking a glass construction on top.

R&H Hall is one of the most iconic buildings in Cork. They shouldn't say its 'impossible' to save, just too costly.
You'd get over it tho, the plans for the Odlums building are rotten.

Last edited:
I really think the quality of the architect 's work in these firms is pathetic.

You can repurpose a building without completely destroying its aesthetic. To be clear I'm not in anyway against the redevelopment but that lacks any imagination or attempt to keep the character of the building whatsoever imo.
The entire building including its iconic façade (its aesthetic) is being retained and thus by definition negates against "imagination" type interpretations by those very same architectural and heritage constraints.

iu

R&H Hall to be flattened too

"Unlike the Odlums building, there are major structural issues which make a viable re-purposing of the silo buildings impossible to achieve,” according to OCP.

Halls will be no loss imho. Odlums not ideal I grant you but I think it could have been worse, and they are retaining the facade.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼