New docklands development

The entire building including its iconic façade (its aesthetic) is being retained and thus by definition negates against "imagination" type interpretations by those very same architectural and heritage constraints.

The glass box on top is shocking.

If you think that looks well or doesn't take away from the building I don't know what to say to you.

The glass box on top is shocking.

If you think that looks well or doesn't take away from the building I don't know what to say to you.

Agreed it does take from the look, but I've seen worse I think. Some of the stuff being awarded in Architecture would make you wonder just what dafaq is going on in architecture imho.

I really think the quality of the architect 's work in these firms is pathetic.

You can repurpose a building without completely destroying its aesthetic. To be clear I'm not in anyway against the redevelopment but that lacks any imagination or attempt to keep the character of the building whatsoever imo.

Great to see new life & a proposed end to dereliction there but for me the plans are uninspiring, mundane & lack creativity .

Not convinced about the R&H argument either.

Look at the repurposing of the old flour mill in Gateshead

iu

iu

Wrt to repurposing or developing old buildings in Cork, the extent of the imagination involved seems to go as far as plonking a glass construction on top.

R&H Hall is one of the most iconic buildings in Cork. They shouldn't say its 'impossible' to save, just too costly.
You'd get over it tho, the plans for the Odlums building are rotten.
Yes, it probably is to costly to restore as it is 90 year old concrete and really not worth saving as it is only iconic due to its size

If you’d like to live somewhere that will never see natural sunlight it’s ideal.
How?

The proposed open internal courtyard is fully glazed and facing South as the orientation of the existing Odlums building facing Kennedy Quay faces North.
FE9G7QHXEAMANeS

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Cork City Organ Group

Cantys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼