Must.... Own....property....

What is it with our compulsion to own property?

People bend over backwards to scrap together all the cash they can possibly get hold of, to put a deposit down.
You have men and women in their twenties, and even thirties, moving back home with their parents, just so they can purchase in a year or so.

Why?

If buying a property meant that I would have to forfeit independence, then I don't think I'd want it. And I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of people who do.

What do the majority of Irish and British people have against renting for decades?

I come under this as well, as I've been looking into ways in which I can buy a place, and I wonder why I bother thinking about it. If you find a place you love, and you live there, why not just stay their? Why bother with the hassle?
If you have the cash fine, it's a longterm investment and security, but if you don't, why break your skull to try and make it happen?

I find our whole outlook on this bizarre.

People bend over backwards to scrap together all the cash they can possibly get hold of, to put a deposit down.
You have men and women in their twenties, and even thirties, moving back home with their parents, just so they can purchase in a year or so.

Why?

If buying a property meant that I would have to forfeit independence, then I don't think I'd want it. And I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of people who do.

What do the majority of Irish and British people have against renting for decades?

I come under this as well, as I've been looking into ways in which I can buy a place, and I wonder why I bother thinking about it. If you find a place you love, and you live there, why not just stay their? Why bother with the hassle?
If you have the cash fine, it's a longterm investment and security, but if you don't, why break your skull to try and make it happen?

Totally agree. same applies to careers. Everyone needs to relax. Chill.

Why?

As you know i'm one of these people who have moved home in order to save money with a view to buying. There are a couple of reasons why i'd buy instead of renting.

The money you'd spend on renting would be roughly the same amount as you'd spend of a mortgage. So you'd be better off buying you're own gaff that renting someone elses.

Also the apartments for rent in ireland are of a completely different standard to the one on the continent. Most apartments in ireland are far too small in which to raise a family. For example my brother rents an apartment in cork with two bedrooms and living/kitchen area for about €1,500 a month. While for the same money a friend of mine in amsterdam rents a two story, 4 bed apartment with a large kitchen, large living room, private garden and access to a communal living area.

I know people talk the talk about our history having a sub-conscious effect - to what extent is that true?

This question goes to Number 3.

HM83 - I get your points, but the only perspective I can look at it from is mine. I live in a quite spacious 3-bed house with a private garden in quite central London. For 2 of us to buy something, it would be a tiny, pokey flat in a dodgy area.

To put myself under financial pressure to raise the deposit for that really isn't worth it, imo.
I like the idea of having my own place (if only so I could decorate as I see fit!), but I don't understand people who jump through rings of fire to get it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼