Moving back to Cork from California - Genius or Eejit?

From the article:

"A quick scan through the most read articles in 2015 on the Generation Emigration website shows that the existential issue of belonging or feelings of not belonging are to the fore in many of the stories, whether the person is living in Ireland or overseas."

Most of those generation emigration articles are written by whiny arseholes.
Lol there seems to be an element of that alright .

Just posted article as I couldn't believe how awkward the government seem to be making it for returning people.

Yeah, I discovered the Generation Emigration section on The Times Dahling™ last year. The overall sentiment is either "I used to live in a foreign country, and people thought I was cool because I had an Irish accent. Now I'm back in Ireland, and nobody gives a feck about me, and aren't treating me like the special little creature I am" or "Gawsh, despite being a stauuuuunch Fine Gael man my whole life, they just AREN'T doing enough with offers of tax breaks and incentives for me to return to my GODAWFUL life in Montennotte."

It's basically a forum for begrudgers to piss and moan about Ireland in general. Which, fair enough, the place is far from perfect, nowhere that naive, but some of the cnuts in there need a slap.

As to how awkward the government's making it, I'm not seeing it from my research. I emailed the INIS explaining my situation - Irish fella coming home, American born wife, and American born daughter. Reply waiting for me the following morning. No problems - wife will be given a stamp 4 straight away, and can look for work before the ink dries. Has to renew it every year, after three years she can apply for citizenship. Daughter's already an Irish citizen through me, not a bother there either. Follow up questions were replied to within 24 hours as well, from the same person, very nice she was and all. Compare that to here, where my green card is $1,000 every time I renew it, and it's a six week slog through paperwork and office visits.

As to having a job waiting for me, or expecting the government to give me grants or incentives to move back, why the feck would people demand that? I'm a grown man, there were certainly no handouts for me when I came to America, there are none for those moving to London, why would people expect them coming back? As if the country owes us immigrants something for taking a look around during the dark times and saying "Well, good luck with that, I'm offski."

Entitled gobshites, the lot of them.

Yeah, I discovered the Generation Emigration section on The Times Dahling™ last year. The overall sentiment is either "I used to live in a foreign country, and people thought I was cool because I had an Irish accent. Now I'm back in Ireland, and nobody gives a feck about me, and aren't treating me like the special little creature I am" or "Gawsh, despite being a stauuuuunch Fine Gael man my whole life, they just AREN'T doing enough with offers of tax breaks and incentives for me to return to my GODAWFUL life in Montennotte."

It's basically a forum for begrudgers to piss and moan about Ireland in general. Which, fair enough, the place is far from perfect, nowhere that naive, but some of the cnuts in there need a slap.

As to how awkward the government's making it, I'm not seeing it from my research. I emailed the INIS explaining my situation - Irish fella coming home, American born wife, and American born daughter. Reply waiting for me the following morning. No problems - wife will be given a stamp 4 straight away, and can look for work before the ink dries. Has to renew it every year, after three years she can apply for citizenship. Daughter's already an Irish citizen through me, not a bother there either. Follow up questions were replied to within 24 hours as well, from the same person, very nice she was and all. Compare that to here, where my green card is $1,000 every time I renew it, and it's a six week slog through paperwork and office visits.

As to having a job waiting for me, or expecting the government to give me grants or incentives to move back, why the feck would people demand that? I'm a grown man, there were certainly no handouts for me when I came to America, there are none for those moving to London, why would people expect them coming back? As if the country owes us immigrants something for taking a look around during the dark times and saying "Well, good luck with that, I'm offski."

Entitled gobshites, the lot of them.

I find this kind of tone and responses to people sharing the views the most off-putting to be honest. You read the articles and then see the begrudging comments ranting about something or other. FYI I left pre-Celtic tiger and now considering going back. However the whingeing mindset that exists back home now is unreal and very off-putting . You read the papers and comments and its full of whingeing and whining, all you hear is people droning on about the banks, the politicians, the weather. Its depressing to be honest. And several people that do comment on those articles seem to resent anyone having made a decent life for themselves outside of Ireland, and are not shy of showing it.

In my case, I left straight after college, most of my college friends are scattered everywhere, I have more connections with people who I met while away than I do with people I knew from home. The sense of belonging is a consideration for sure as well as the mrs who is not Irish. And by and large you are treated the same as a foreigner moving to Ireland. I'm lucky enough to have kept my PRSI number, and still kept my name on the electoral register etc (hence the low turnout at elections, as I'm sure I'm one of thousands) so it may be a bit easier for me. For anyone leaving college and wanting to go travelling for a while, if you are away more than 3 years and want to do a Masters you are considered a foreign student and have to pay full fees.

I dunno Castle, I think that's something you encounter no matter where you are. Not sure where you moved to (I left around the same age as yourself, 22) but I can speak from experience after living in several places in America that the natives here are as bad as the natives in Ireland. Different, but the whining and moaning is definitely a common factor. Complaining incessantly about the government as we do back home (although here most of them doing the complaining don't vote, oddly enough), whining that the government needs to stay out of their lives, but need to be helping them in particular. Complaining about the immigrants. Complaining that when they travel to other countries, they're different than America. Complaining that people moving there don't love America as much as they do (I get that one a lot, personally), and of course the constant "WE'RE THE BEST COUNTRY ON EARTH, WE INVENTED FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY AND MCDONALDS! USA! USA! USA! USA!"

Like you though, I probably associate myself more with foreigners than I do with people at home. I cringe when I see some of the people I went to school with on Facebook, a few of whom are still ensconced in the Knocknaheeny mentality, communicating exclusively in text talk an dis an dat an dere and complaining about their children's allowance.

Shocked at the college policy as well - wonder if that's an EU thing or an exclusively Irish thing? Had a look for it, and the law says as long as you spend 3 out of the last 5 years in the EU, you're alright, but likes of me having lived in the USA, I'd be boned if I wanted my masters. (Mind you, the fees are still a damn sight cheaper than college in the USA!)

Christ. If the MAGA period didn't send you home, I don't know what will. Other than climate change of course, as Cali becomes increasingly untenable.
It's actually back on the docket now. We just got back from three weeks in Cork, and have tentatively made the decision to move next summer. Our daughter will be 8, so there's a bit of a "we do it now, or we're not doing it until after she's grown and moved out" aspect to it.

Now the decision has gone from fantasy to reality tho, we're absolutely bricking it at the prospect of the job at hand. Neither of us are too thrilled about looking for work for the first time in years, and the cost of housing over there (plus stories of impending recessions and bubbles about to burst) have us worried.

Errah, we'll see I suppose.

It's actually back on the docket now. We just got back from three weeks in Cork, and have tentatively made the decision to move next summer. Our daughter will be 8, so there's a bit of a "we do it now, or we're not doing it until after she's grown and moved out" aspect to it.

Now the decision has gone from fantasy to reality tho, we're absolutely bricking it at the prospect of the job at hand. Neither of us are too thrilled about looking for work for the first time in years, and the cost of housing over there (plus stories of impending recessions and bubbles about to burst) have us worried.

Errah, we'll see I suppose.
In life you just have to make a decision and throw the kitchen sink at it. The fact you have been contemplating for a while subconsciously your already in Cork so just do it don’t look back.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Conchur White
Winthrop Avenue (@ Old Oak)

3rd May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼