Moving back to Cork from California - Genius or Eejit?

I can't remember enjoying a thread on here so much. Common sense mixed with humour, nostalgia and life experiences.

This should be moved to the Langer's Forum for the hoi polloi to understand what makes a good thread.

City mouse turned country mouse here… I grew up in the suburbs of San Jose and Saratoga, and lived along the Peninsula (Mountain View, Shallow/Palo Alto, and Burlingame), before spending nearly half of my life in the city. I know that Apple is near Knocka, but have yet to visit the area. I’ve been to Blackpool, walked around Shandon, Lover’s Walk, Montenotte, Mayfield, Silver Springs, and Tivoli, but have yet to explore the north side. Crossing the city here is nearly as bad as trying to cross Market Street in San Francisco during Critical Mass.

I have yet to try Bud here only because I didn’t want to be that Yank who drinks Bud. But, I will give it a go if what you say is true. I don’t mind telling you that I wouldn’t make it a habit so. I genuinely like Murphy’s. You should see the looks of disgust I get when I ask for Murphy’s outside of Cork. It’s priceless. Sometimes I’ll do it to wind up the bartender. Seriously though, opening a brewery would be good. And, even better is when it is a success, so that we can rightly claim it as our own. I’m already thinking of names.

When I saw Barefoot, my jaw dropped. And, FFS, just as I recovered, I saw jugs of Gallo. 200 bottles of wine would be easy enough to disperse and consume. I gave away most of the wine and liquor, and then held many dinner parties before moving. It’s a shame I could not pack them in the shipping container. You’re spoiled with Northern California wines - Healdsburg, Sonoma Valley, Napa, Alexander Valley are a skip and a jump away. Are you still convinced about returning to Cork? You definitely can get decent wine here, but nothing complex for less than €25 or so. By the way, the government is raising the minimum price of alcohol. (See the update list things I miss.)

And the steak… I know what you mean. Meat and poultry are much better here than in The States, but it’s the preparation and cooking techniques that have not evolved. There is a reason that Irish (and English and German cuisine, for that matter) have not proliferated. I’ve found food here as relatively generally bland and not too adventurous. But, it definitely seems to be changing. Restaurant are getting all fusion, like. We’re getting notions here so. Chinese food over chips. I shook my head when I saw it. Good luck finding decent sushi here. At least there, even passable sushi is easy available at your grocery store. Unrelated, but have you seen that Rachael Allen wan? Fucking hell. Motherfucking hell.

I’m with you on the begrudgers - fuck ‘em. I’m a recovering Catholic (Catholic and Jesuit schooling), and do not think I could have had any joy here 20 years ago. You mentioned the gays - that is one thing, coming from San Francisco, that I no longer see daily. It didn’t occur to me until a year after moving here that I miss gay people. I’m sure they are around, but it’s definitely more difficult to identify them here in the countryside.

Bring the bike - you’ll want to ride it (there is no way around saying ride in this context) as the price of gas/petrol is nearly double than the Bay Area. Imagine if we had New Jersey gas prices, here…

How many times has your wife visited Ireland? And, did she see it during crap weather?

Things I miss:
Asian food (decent Asian food), alcohol (less costly and variety)
Beer (different beers) and the occasional Giants baseball game
Costco, Costco, Costco
Dim sum (yes, it’s Asian food, but it’s an event, really), diversity, donuts, big dinner parties (they just do not happen here in the countryside)
Energy (less costly utilities)
Family and friends (number one miss)
Garlic fries, gays
H
I
J
K
L
Mexican food, municipal transportation
N
O
Positive outlook, thinking, and reinforcement; the Prius brigade
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

Last edited:
Oh dear christ no. I actually want some feedback and proper insight, not see moaning about refugees and wondering who's rideable or not.

The important thing is to back yourself whatever decision you make and don't spend a moment saying 'what if...'.
I had the best two years of my life in sunnier climes with a booming economy but wanted my kids to have Irish accents. There are always the ups and downs about any decision like this but home is home for me.

There are always the ups and downs about any decision like this but home is home for me.

I think that's the way of it for me. I remember a few years back, a buddy of mine from Ecuador immediately packed his bags the second his wife got pregnant. At the going away party I asked him if he was sure, and he just sort of shrugged and said "Of course. We all want our children to be like us."

Think it's natural somewhat to want your kids to have the sort of childhood we ourselves can relate to.

Of course that's impossible now, because those of us "of a certain age" didn't grow up with the internet, smartphones, and social networking. The lucky ones had a Commodore 64 or the multi channel, and that was that. God only knows what the thing will be in 10 years time.

So instead we at least want them to have the accent and a bit of the culture. But even that's changing. Add into that mix the fact that my wife wants the same, and it starts boiling down to a list of pros and cons.

Come home pal, your bills here will be minuscule in comparison to the bay area, the only part of life that you won't have here is the dacent weather, so just get a two hour plane somewhere for a week and chill.

Food there sucks, I know it's much better than the east coast, but it's still rather shite on an international scale, not to mention that it's prohibitively expensive. Good food here is still readily available and very cheap.

Property here is much cheaper, and you won't be paying mental property taxes of 10% or anything.

You won't have to cross four lanes to get to an exit.

Your child will have a good education, will graduate from college with no debt, and acceptable healthcare, a years healthcare for a family here will likely cost less than a month's for a single person in the states on the equivalent plan.

Earthquakes.

You won't be shot, the Gardai here are shit, but won't shoot you.

If you can't work remotely, there are a tonne of jobs here in Tech, the pay isn't bad either, unless you're starting off.

There's a tonne of other things that will be a pain in the hole like.. but you'll get them everywhere, this is still a very good place to bring up a few kids however.

Yeah, enjoy it, m8.

Just to play devils advocate. The country is still in bits . Health care on a par with third world countries. Poverty on the rise. Homelessness is rife and there is a pretty big shortage of homes to buy and rent.

However if you have a decent job lined up and get your kids into a decent school and manage to find a gaff in an area you like then it could be half the battle won. Big decision for you. Best of luck with whatever your decision is.

Thanks for the enjoyable read in this thread lads.

I hope your man makes the right decision for himself and I would highly recommend Galway for a move if you don't fancy going back to Cork.

Great read and I hope that that guy makes the right decision --I will not give advice as like most langers I am partisan--but one thing two top class 3rd level Institutions UCC and CIT here and the daughter will graduate without having mortgaged her life--good luck in the choice!

How's it cuttin' feens and beors...

Think to be honest the decision was made in my head a while back. Actually further back than I thought - a buddy of mine moved back to Australia a few years ago, caused massive strife between himself and his American wife, to the point where they went to counselling over it. Came up that even though he'd been in America 15 years, he never applied for citizenship, and always made excuses to put it off. The shrink they were seeing said that's an immediate sign he didn't want to stay in the USA and wanted to go home. I'm here nearly 20 and have done the same thing, always put off doing the citizenship thing. Wife's another story, she sees all the logical benefits of moving, but doesn't want to leave her mam and dad. Which is understandable - if my mam and dad were still kicking, I probably wouldn't have left Cork myself.

So think this was more of trying to figure out if I'm making the smart decision, or if I'm absolutely nuts to give up the life in California. But swear to god like, I'm losing it here. I see shitty youtube vids with a bit of diddly-eye music, and footage of home, and I sob like my daughter. For example this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3y81TRaLeQ

had me in tears for a half hour.

So anyways: @Bennyton, your list is along the lines of the one we came up with ourselves. Like I said though, the wife was the one that was being a bit hesitant about it all. But she shocked me yesterday when she came home from work and said "So had my end of year review today, and told my boss we were moving to Ireland in summer of next year."

So there ye go. I'm coming home, I'm coming home. Tell the world, I'm coming home!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Frankie Boyle: Lap of Shame

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼