Mitsubishi Charisma Dilemma

my wifes car is a 02 mitsubishi dilemma with low mileage and in good nick but it recently failed the nct on emmissions - the cat convertor needs to be replaced and its proving very difficult to get a second hand replacement through breakers leaving the option to put a new one into it which would cost the bones of a grand.........not worth doing that, car itself is only worth €1500 maybe and its a shame to scrap it as its in great nick. she only goes up and down the airport to work so i guess the short journeys didnt help the build up in the cat..any ideas? cant really afford to replace it just now bit of a catch 22

If the engine was given a good service, clean oil, new plugs, clean filters etc, and the car given a good hard drive before a retest she might pass.

yeah someone else said that to me aswell but mechanic says its gone and needs to be replaced.......seemingly the cat for this make/model is different to other makes such as ford which can be manipulated to get past the test.........as youve probably guessed i know very little about cars!

my wifes car is a 02 mitsubishi dilemma with low mileage and in good nick but it recently failed the nct on emmissions - the cat convertor needs to be replaced and its proving very difficult to get a second hand replacement through breakers leaving the option to put a new one into it which would cost the bones of a grand.........not worth doing that, car itself is only worth €1500 maybe and its a shame to scrap it as its in great nick. she only goes up and down the airport to work so i guess the short journeys didnt help the build up in the cat..any ideas? cant really afford to replace it just now bit of a catch 22

A grand to replace a catalytic convertor?! change your mechanic! I new one from motor factors is about €250, its bolted on with gaskets, 20 min job for any handy mechanic.

If ya want to go second hand, www.partfinder.ie

Is the cat rattling when you drive? It could be just an o2 sensor that gone too.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Houseplants
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

24th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Roy Orbison Reborn starring Dean Bourne

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼