Minor Hurling 2022

Another worrying performance from a Cork inter-county team. The worrying part isn’t the result, as these are kids at the end of the day, and things can change quickly (look at Galway’s lack of U20 success despite dominant minor teams). The worrying and disappointing part is the fact that we seem to be doubling down on what we’re doing at senior level, and what’s failing at senior level. They looked like one of the smallest teams we’ve ever fielded at minor level. A load of skilful and quick players, but I don’t think we had a single player over 6-foot in the forward line and it showed at puck-outs and around the breaking ball. Every Cork team that’s had success over the last few years has had at least one big-ball winner in the half-forward line. Last year’s AI winning minor team had 6-foot-5 Ben Nyhan and Diarmuid Healy. Last year’s U20 team had big Brian Hayes in the half-forward line. The 2020 U20 winning team had Colin O’Brien, Sean Twomey and Hayes all as options there.

My thoughts exactly.

The 20+ wides killed us tonight and the stories doing the rounds about players not allowed play with their schools also most worrying.

Debates and arguments about what players were playing/not playing, not even looked etc are par the course when discussing underage teams.

But the most concerning aspect again for me tonight revolves around the ultra short passing game we tried to play. It's infecting every single Cork team now. A plague on Cork hurling. I just can't understand where this short passing nonsense has come from, is it a direction from the county board? Is it it just a coincidence that all Cork teams now have managers that think this is how hurling should be played? Or is it all teams now trying to ape our senior team?
This wasn't a thing to this extent in Cork hurling untill 18 months ago. How has it so suddenly and completely enveloped Cork hurling and how come 99% of Cork supporters can see its a complete shambles of a style but those in charge cannot?

Because Cork hurling is full of micro managers. They want full control of what a player can and can’t do . Cork hurling was built on heart and passion. Not tippy tappy net ball.
Also the pitch tonight didn’t suit this Cork team. Loads balls being over hit for some reason. The pairc would suited them better but….
Both pitches are the same length. They've been playing most of their challenge games in PUR so should've been well used to it

Fierce disappointing loss. Shooting was awful and Cork were destroyed in rucks and in the breaking ball. Clare really benefited from playing two tough competitive games v Waterford and Tipp whereas we had 2 handy easy games to start. It's all well and good to be hurling well vs easy teams but too much of the Cork players tonight weren't able to produce against a higher calibre opponent. This year's Tipp U20s suffered a bad loss at minor level and rebounded from that, hopefully this team can do likewise.

Don’t get me going on that chestnut again ffs
You get a fair bit of lash back for it as it can seem overly simplistic but you're on the money in my opinion. How many teams in the last 10 years have won an AI at any level, without physical presence and size around the middle 8? Nobody wants a team full of big men for the sake of having a team full of big men but the top teams in every sport have variation.

My thoughts exactly.

The 20+ wides killed us tonight and the stories doing the rounds about players not allowed play with their schools also most worrying.

Debates and arguments about what players were playing/not playing, not even looked etc are par the course when discussing underage teams.

But the most concerning aspect again for me tonight revolves around the ultra short passing game we tried to play. It's infecting every single Cork team now. A plague on Cork hurling. I just can't understand where this short passing nonsense has come from, is it a direction from the county board? Is it it just a coincidence that all Cork teams now have managers that think this is how hurling should be played? Or is it all teams now trying to ape our senior team?
This wasn't a thing to this extent in Cork hurling untill 18 months ago. How has it so suddenly and completely enveloped Cork hurling and how come 99% of Cork supporters can see its a complete shambles of a style but those in charge cannot?
Limerick use the short-option as well and you need to have that option, but I agree that it seems excessive at times, especially when you have the wind advantage. My understanding is that when it works the benefits are two-fold. Firstly, you can upset the rhythm and momentum of a team on a run by claiming possession uncontested. Secondly, if your defenders can use possession effectively you force other teams to push their half-forward line up more, which in turn creates more space for your forward-line. I understand both of these reasons but you have to have the players and variation, or else you risk conceding costly goals like the one tonight.

I think a lot of our teams are trying to copy the likes of Limerick and Waterford. The difference is that when Limerick and Waterford go for the short-option from puck-outs, there are a number of moving parts and everybody knows their role exactly. Every Limerick defender is also comfortable in possession and has the power and speed to break the first tackle.

Look we had a great year last year 3 All-Irelands with very talented players , this year is gone bad but i think we have plenty talent to get the show on the road again all it takes is one big win maybe Waterford in Walsh Park might be the one !

Limerick use the short-option as well and you need to have that option, but I agree that it seems excessive at times, especially when you have the wind advantage. My understanding is that when it works the benefits are two-fold. Firstly, you can upset the rhythm and momentum of a team on a run by claiming possession uncontested. Secondly, if your defenders can use possession effectively you force other teams to push their half-forward line up more, which in turn creates more space for your forward-line. I understand both of these reasons but you have to have the players and variation, or else you risk conceding costly goals like the one tonight.

I think a lot of our teams are trying to copy the likes of Limerick and Waterford. The difference is that when Limerick and Waterford go for the short-option from puck-outs, there are a number of moving parts and everybody knows their role exactly. Every Limerick defender is also comfortable in possession and has the power and speed to break the first tackle.
O I agree and I'm not for one minute saying the short game needs to be abandoned in its entirety.

What galls me now is that it's the default option to go short. If you have an outball up top with a corner forward working alongside him at least you can drive it long when your under pressure and let them compete for it. Even if they lose that ball it keeps the opposition honest and depending on how hard they make it for the defender coming out it gives our defence a second or two to reset.

Even by doing this a few times during a half will keep the opposition thinking and they won't be as quick to flood the middle third which would then make it easier for you to get your short running game going. As it is all we do is run into trouble, turn around, pass back, run into trouble again and repeat this untill we lose possession.

How many times do you see a Limerick player in space in midfield. It happens numerous times every game. All because opposition are afraid if they push up then Flanagan or Hayes or Gillane etc will have ball pumped in on top of them with no cover back there to stop them.

It is pretty depressing going from 4 finals in a year to basically being done all inter-county hurling in May (barring some massive turnaround), dunno what to make of it all anymore...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..
More events ▼