Minor Hurling 2022

Can’t remember the last time I felt so low about Cork GAA as a whole, just one punch in the gut after another.

This one is particularly disappointing as the game was there and they shot it away almost, the inability to win rucks at all levels is genuinely astounding at this point.

Roll on Saturday evening I guess…
Think continual disappointment is turning to lack of interest across the county too. A lot of kids would have had no idea the match was even on. Many more have never been, or would never watch, a GAA game in either code. Unthinkable in the Cork of my youth, but there you go.

Cork should be out the gap. Abysmal shooting in the first half. Creating loads of chances though. If they can settle them at half time hopefully they'll kick on in 2nd half.
A lot of them came from massive numbers of lads back breaking out after a series of lateral hand passes ending with a wild shot from miles out with clare players chasing hard

Well Cork should be taking part. Prepares fellas for nights like this . I know panels change but the main players normally are there up to minor.

Telling fellas not to play for their schools. This isn’t about hurling . It actually has a mental affect on players to seeing their friends go out to battle without them . Hurling is a warrior sport but Cork are turning it into netball from what I’m seeing .
Don't know about the schools but the forristal thing is ongoing

Just bear in mind when talking about this that they are very young
This is a very highly rated Clare side
Plus the management contains Cyril lyons joint manager of the first under 21 side to win an all Ireland for us in 09 and Donal Moloney the most successful underage manager in clare history

You sow what you reap. When you hear of players not being left play for their schools this is what happens. You won’t see this in any other county. Clare school won the harty this year and you can see this clearly tonight .
Spot on, not to mention the best player in last's year minor championship deemed not good enough to be a sub.

Another worrying performance from a Cork inter-county team. The worrying part isn’t the result, as these are kids at the end of the day, and things can change quickly (look at Galway’s lack of U20 success despite dominant minor teams). The worrying and disappointing part is the fact that we seem to be doubling down on what we’re doing at senior level, and what’s failing at senior level. They looked like one of the smallest teams we’ve ever fielded at minor level. A load of skilful and quick players, but I don’t think we had a single player over 6-foot in the forward line and it showed at puck-outs and around the breaking ball. Every Cork team that’s had success over the last few years has had at least one big-ball winner in the half-forward line. Last year’s AI winning minor team had 6-foot-5 Ben Nyhan and Diarmuid Healy. Last year’s U20 team had big Brian Hayes in the half-forward line. The 2020 U20 winning team had Colin O’Brien, Sean Twomey and Hayes all as options there.

Another worrying performance from a Cork inter-county team. The worrying part isn’t the result, as these are kids at the end of the day, and things can change quickly (look at Galway’s lack of U20 success despite dominant minor teams). The worrying and disappointing part is the fact that we seem to be doubling down on what we’re doing at senior level, and what’s failing at senior level. They looked like one of the smallest teams we’ve ever fielded at minor level. A load of skilful and quick players, but I don’t think we had a single player over 6-foot in the forward line and it showed at puck-outs and around the breaking ball. Every Cork team that’s had success over the last few years has had at least one big-ball winner in the half-forward line. Last year’s AI winning minor team had 6-foot-5 Ben Nyhan and Diarmuid Healy. Last year’s U20 team had big Brian Hayes in the half-forward line. The 2020 U20 winning team had Colin O’Brien, Sean Twomey and Hayes all as options there.
Don’t get me going on that chestnut again ffs

Very disappointing alright. Clare were more cohesive, especially when running the ball through the middle third. I'd say their no. 11 was MotM, and the 9 got on a world of ball as well. Deserved win.

Cork's decision-making wasn't as sharp, a lot of their wides were pot-shots from distance where the real error wasn't hitting the wide but shooting in the first place. Clare covered their FB line pretty well, but Cork seemed very reluctant to play ball into the FF line all night. I also thought Cork had quite a few unforced errors and the touch was well off at times. Clare's second goal came from a bad first touch after a risky short puck-out (in fairness to Clare they pounced on the half-chance and worked the goal well).

Lastly, I agree with other posters about the rucks but for me the more obvious failing was on Cork's long puck-outs, where Clare seemed to sweep up most of the breaks. This wasn't such a problem for the successful recent underage teams, but it was an issue for the minors tonight and this year's U20s as well. And it's been a thorn in the side of successive senior teams for years. Whoever is in charge of the underage sides next year, this has to be a priority - not necessarily fielding high ball (although that's an issue as well), but unearthing a few more guys like Brian Roche who can make something of breaking ball.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Making A Scene

Fred Zeppelins, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼