Looking for memories and photographs of The Liberty Bar

Anyone have memories of "Magic Alley" just up from the Liberty?

I got a few hand/blow jobs down there back in the day. It was one of our go to spots for underage drinking. Known as Magic Alley because there were enough crevasses to hide in so nobody looking down from the street could see you.

I left some amount of spunk on that alley. Good times.
You destroyed my rubber dollies that night.

Drank there in the late 80'/early90's. Remember the night the ceiling caved in from a burst pipe. It was actually an outflow pipe from the gents! Heard a story about a down and out in there once who was playing away with himself in the front bar and when 2 women in there asked Mick to kick him out and were told "Ah sure leave him finish first!!
There was a certain fella, kinda of famous around Turners Cross, who had his stash in a hole in the stairs (upstairs by the gents) where he dealt from. Saw NOF duck after a goth threw a glass bottle of cider at him, he missed. Controversy when the price of a flagon went from £4 to £5. Vaguely recall a sort of boycott. The indie crowd/Sultans crowd in the back, goths/punks in the middle and newbies/students in the front was the mix I remember. Off to Henry's on a Friday night afterwards for the indie night there but what I remember most was the treat of one of Mick's Black Russians when it was pay day! Vaguely recall one of those gas fires that was sparked up in winter but the memory is fading!
I won't say great times but unique times.

I went in last night with a few friends. Seriously impressive to be fair, much better than I was expexting.

We sat upstairs and the girls had cocktails which they all said were amazing, and despite the prices apparently well worth it. I was on the Chieftain and am feeling it today, that stuff is rocket fuel. Upstairs is more cocktail orientated and they had a DJ kicking off at around 9. Downstairs is more of a pub and there were groups of lads and couples in for a few pints.

I love my pubs as ye know but Im always sceptical when a new one comes along as there are already so many, do we need another one like. But to be fair the Liberty is doing something different and new and it's definitely going to feature on my route going forward. My only fear is that it gets too busy, which is what has happened to Moody Cafe Vin in the VQ. We don't even bother trying there anymore as the last few times we couldnt get in the the door.

Best of luck to the Liberty

MoE

I went in last night with a few friends. Seriously impressive to be fair, much better than I was expexting.

We sat upstairs and the girls had cocktails which they all said were amazing, and despite the prices apparently well worth it. I was on the Chieftain and am feeling it today, that stuff is rocket fuel. Upstairs is more cocktail orientated and they had a DJ kicking off at around 9. Downstairs is more of a pub and there were groups of lads and couples in for a few pints.

I love my pubs as ye know but Im always sceptical when a new one comes along as there are already so many, do we need another one like. But to be fair the Liberty is doing something different and new and it's definitely going to feature on my route going forward. My only fear is that it gets too busy, which is what has happened to Moody Cafe Vin in the VQ. We don't even bother trying there anymore as the last few times we couldnt get in the the door.

Best of luck to the Liberty

MoE
Should have stuck to the Hazy Pale 😃

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
NewEra
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

3rd May 2024 @ 11:00 pm
More info..

Sprints

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼