Looking for memories and photographs of The Liberty Bar

SoundMan will be along soon to tell us about how he watched the Moon Landing live on TV in the Liberty with his pal Jamesy

Not quite. The Liberty wasn't a place I frequented very much tbh. I think I was in the "old" Liberty just the once, though I was in the "new" Liberty a few times - run by a guy who used be a Barman in the Raven - I'm sh*t for names but was it Noel? New Liberty was a great spot with a good pool table upstairs, a bit of darts downstairs and a good enough jukebox. Old one was more of a crusty lot if memory serves, where guys used drink flagons of cider, over a period of time and have their bottle put aside for them while they went up town on a message or two - or so a pal of mine told me. ;)

Speaking of the Liberty, what do people make of the Castle these days?

I was in last week with me da and we were the only people there, very quite. The pint wasn't great either, I was surprised yer man Michael even served it to me as the head was massive and it tasted poor enough.

Speaking of the Liberty, what do people make of the Castle these days?

I was in last week with me da and we were the only people there, very quite. The pint wasn't great either, I was surprised yer man Michael even served it to me as the head was massive and it tasted poor enough.

Sad to hear you got a bad pint in there. Usually very good. Don't see the snug open much in there these days with the "new" room in at the back which seems to draw a different crowd.

Great that you can go drinking with your Da. Alas that was something I didn't do enough of when my Da was alive. I'd say we only went out for a drink (he wasn't really a pints guy) a handful of times.

Castle's the only place in town I can get snuff :cool: when I'm of a mind to - usually after a skinful ;)

Sad to hear you got a bad pint in there. Usually very good. Don't see the snug open much in there these days with the "new" room in at the back which seems to draw a different crowd.

Great that you can go drinking with your Da. Alas that was something I didn't do enough of when my Da was alive. I'd say we only went out for a drink (he wasn't really a pints guy) a handful of times.

Castle's the only place in town I can get snuff :cool: when I'm of a mind to - usually after a skinful ;)

Sorry to hear that. :(

Tbh I never see my dad even though he's only a 20 minute drive away. I really need to get up to see him more often.

He doesn't actually drink, he'd just have an orange while I'd have a pint. He used to be a big drinker, so the stage when it was becoming a major problem at home, and then in the middle of Covid when he was having cans for breakfast, he pulled the plug and hasn't touched a drop since. Some going like.

One fond memory I have is from around 2010 when I suddenly lost my job. Went into work and was told I wasn't needed anymore. My dad brought me to the Grange bar and we had a few pints together. It was just what I needed at the time.

Anyone have memories of "Magic Alley" just up from the Liberty?

I got a few hand/blow jobs down there back in the day. It was one of our go to spots for underage drinking. Known as Magic Alley because there were enough crevasses to hide in so nobody looking down from the street could see you.

I left some amount of spunk on that alley. Good times.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼