Live at the Marquee 24

I generally don't go. That was my first time down there in over 10 years. And I did enjoy it to a point. It's fair enough to point out the sound is shit in a thread about a venue, especially when a tickets cost around 70 quid.

At the risk of being even more negative. If anyone is heading down there, I would recommend avoiding the Guinness. The next day was a complete write off for me.
yeah of course dont go if you dont like it. however it might be a big opportunity to see someone you really like and you might not get the opportunity to see them again...decent sound and decent beer isnt i dont think its to much to ask for

I wouldn't expect the Guinness to be decent at a pop up bar in a plastic glass. Better off with beer, cider or a mojito. There's also a guy with a backpack selling bottles of beer inside

i gave up drinking beer at festivals about 1995 after the 'big day out fest' in galway (i think that's what it was called anyways) with radiohead/cardigans/etc, just ended up missing half the gigs of acts i really wanted to see whilst quing forever to get tokens to get to the bar, just a pointless waste of time

i gave up drinking beer at festivals about 1995 after the 'big day out fest' in galway (i think that's what it was called anyways) with radiohead/cardigans/etc, just ended up missing half the gigs of acts i really wanted to see whilst quing forever to get tokens to get to the bar, just a pointless waste of time
That was a a great festival!

i wouldn't know, missed most of it :(

the queues for beer tokens were absolutely interminable
Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in!

My one and only go at busking was that weekend, outside Moons on shop street. We made reasonably good money, though I can claim little enough credit for it.

@Browser Brody era it is what it is - not gonna change now... if you don't like it, don't go..
(i've no tolerance for idle negativity these days)
write a letter to AKEN if you think it will make you feel better...
No offence but “it is what it is” mentality is essentially saying “i’m happy with any old shite”.
Its not just the fact that the sound was terrible it’s also that it’s not an overly complicated thing to get right.

How many 1000’s of tent based gigs has this country had in the past 20 years ?

It sounded like a piss poor audio setup, Dara O Brian commented on it with two mins of being on stage, so it sounded like his monitor speakers (if any) were also not up to it either.

I will send them a mail.

Last edited:
When I went to see Eddie Vedder there there was a drunk young fella in front of me who announced "well if he's not the lead singer from Nirvana then who the fuck is he...." and went wandering off.

For FUCK sake like!!!!!
era this can happen at any gig, anywhere.. I was at Sigor Ros in Kilmainham a few yrs ago and loads around me wer busy chatting etc rather than watching/enjoying the actual gig...
twas kinda distracting.. but hey ho.. thats people for ya (and abuse of mobile phones)

Saw him in Killarney, thought he was good live but no bar etc open.
I don't mind the Marquee as a venue usually. I wonder will they have the bar open tonight? I'm guessing no
I wasn’t drinking but the bar was flying the pints out and no problem drinking inside the tent either. Christy was in flying form many times requesting the audience to join in. I reckon he had a drop of poteen in his bottle of water. Some going for 77 years old in fairness.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

31st Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼