Leo Varadkar

People on the ground often see recessions coming before the more "learned"

I'd a friend working construction in 2007 that told me "this country is fucked". I thought he was mad tbh. Bertie was telling people to not talk down the economy at the time.

I don't watch much news anymore (for my mental health), so I don’t know if there's a recession coming or not, but it wouldn't surprise me with the way inflation has been for the last few years.

Ireland had the largest increase in greenhouse gas emissions in the European Union at the end of last year and was one of just four EU countries to increase emissions annually.

Rising by 12.3% year-on-year, new data from Eurostat found that Ireland's greenhouse gas emissions in Q4 of 2022 rose in tandem with GDP, with its growth rate of emissions almost twice as large as the second biggest year-on-year increase.

Following Ireland was Latvia, which saw greenhouse gas emissions rise by 6.8%, with Malta in third place, rising by 6.4%. Denmark was the fourth country to report an increase, with its rate of emissions growing marginally at just under 2%.

Is that Eamon Ryan doing well or wha?

RTE News 15-05-23

European Commission sees 'solid' Irish economic growth this year and next​

Updated / Monday, 15 May 2023 12:14

Ireland's economy is projected to remain on a solid growth path with GDP growth of 5.5% expected in 2023 and 5% expected in 2024, according to the European Commission's Spring 2023 Economic Forecast, which was published today.
Era, thats all crystal ball stuff. Our domestic economy slipped into recession at the end of 2022. Preliminary GDP figures show the country shrank by 2.7% in the first quarter. Them are the facts.

I'd a friend working construction in 2007 that told me "this country is fucked". I thought he was mad tbh. Bertie was telling people to not talk down the economy at the time.

I don't watch much news anymore (for my mental health), so I don’t know if there's a recession coming or not, but it wouldn't surprise me with the way inflation has been for the last few years.
Ya, building is grinding to a halt, cost of materials is a huge problem, cost of labour is increasing.

Ya, building is grinding to a halt, cost of materials is a huge problem, cost of labour is increasing.
Housing is only slightly down due to increased costs and lack of labour supply however commercial work is expanding.

Too many housing schemes trapped in the planning system as well as the lack of utilities like ESB and sewer/water connections by our semi-states.

Only commercial building – offices, factories, warehouses and other business premises – bucked the trend, rising to 51.9 in March, indicating that it is the one sector of the construction industry seeing increased activity.

However, the index is showing signs of a turnaround for builders. Companies interviewed for the survey said new orders had risen for the third month in a row. They said they had responded by hiring new workers and stepping up the purchase of building materials, BNP said.

Inflation, which has hindered the industry for more than two years, continues to be a concern but the rate of price increases slowed in March.

Similarly, builders continued to deal with supply squeezes that have been a problem since Covid curbs rowed back two years ago, though BNP notes that this also improved last month.

John McCartney, the bank’s director and head of research, highlighted three trends from the first three months of the year.

“Firstly, overall construction activity contracted, but marginally, and at a diminishing rate through the quarter,” he said.

“Secondly, input cost inflation slowed markedly. Thirdly, every forward-looking indicator on the PMI dashboard switched from negative to unambiguously positive.”

Mr McCartney noted that order books had strengthened progressively over the opening three months of 2023. Increased hiring and materials purchases mirrored this.

“Meanwhile, the proportion of Irish building firms expecting to be as busy or busier in 12 months time has steadily risen from 82 per cent last December to 87 per cent in March,” he said.

Builders hope to cash in on planned development work and upcoming renewable energy projects over the coming year, the survey found.

Era, thats all crystal ball stuff. Our domestic economy slipped into recession at the end of 2022. Preliminary GDP figures show the country shrank by 2.7% in the first quarter. Them are the facts.
All you need now is some facts and data to back up your daft claim.

You cannot even go into a "recession" on a single quarters fiscal data but do carry on.

Ireland’s economic growth will slow significantly in 2023 due to high inflation and weaker consumer confidence, according to the OECD. The country will avoid a recession, with exports of multinationals expected to support gross domestic product growth “albeit at a decelerating rate,” the OECD said in a report on Wednesday.

Ireland's economy is projected to remain on a solid growth path with GDP growth of 5.5% expected in 2023 and 5% expected in 2024, according to the European Commission's Spring 2023 Economic Forecast, which was published today.

That is up from the Commission's earlier forecast of growth of 4.9% for this year and 4.1% for next year, made in February.

All you need now is some facts and data to back up your daft claim.

You cannot even go into a "recession" on a single quarters fiscal data but do carry on.
I gave you an rte link last night.
Mdd shrank 1.1% in Q3 2022 and 1.8% in Q4 2022.
I'll post cso links later but going out to enjoy the 🌞

Bertie was telling people in 2007, who said a recession was coming, to "commit suicide"... A disgusting excuse for a human being.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

12th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼