kileens anti social housing protests

Just curious, what 4 would you pick?
15vYDwe.png
To be honest, none of them. There’s a reason the Northside falls behind the Southside so often and it’s because our quality of election candidates is appalling. If I had to pick the most sincere politician on that list I’d have to say Oliver Moran, although I agree with very few of his positions.

Any care to come out and say they are right or are they wrong. Soundman can you give us your official partys view
There is no party line afaik.

One has to ask why do the parties involved - all of them - put forward the candidates they do given that, the assumption seems to be, each party there has prospective candidates who in other constituencies would likely fare better.

I’ve met Tommy Gould a few times and imho he is a very decent hard working guy who even before he got into politics worked very hard in and for his local unfashionable GAA Club Vincent’s. He was their chairman for a number of years ever before his election as TD.

And while his diction might grate with some here I think it may be one of the things that endears him to so many CNC voters. They see him as “one of their own”, “local guy done well”. His voice and diction chimes with many in CNC where they also elect a dub of all people.

But why do CNC voters elect a dub? Well nobody can trust the Labour Party, especially given some of the leadership they’ve had in that party, including the current one.

There’s a bigger proportion of left wing votes in CNC than in CSC probably because for as long as one can remember CNC has been treated less favourably than CSC. Maybe the actual geography hinders infrastructure north of the river compared to the south, but even with charismatic TDs and a REAL Taoiseach CNC seemed to get less. Maybe it’s only a perception but it’s a perception that’s out there.

And this comes back to why I think CNC elect the TDs that they do. For a start they can only elect from who’s on the ballot paper. This in turn is down to who the parties put forward. So why do the parties put these candidates forward rather than others.
Mick Barry is going to run and SF have a candidate who competes in that space and seems to not want to get outflanked by MB.

The other parties put people forward who can give a nod to that space and want to appeal to people whose electoral politics is less nuanced than those south of the river where life tends to be more comfortable.

Laugh at MB as many do - what is the viable alternative for people from CNC to vote for? Don’t think SF have a hope with their second candidate and the FF and FG candidates aren’t exactly vote getters themselves - merely party candidates there to try hoover up the party’s dwindling core vote and hope to get in on transfers so if/when elected the can only ever aspire to being junior junior minister - in very stark contrast to their fellows in CSC.

Barring something dramatic I can’t see much change

All just my opinion of course

There is no party line afaik.

One has to ask why do the parties involved - all of them - put forward the candidates they do given that, the assumption seems to be, each party there has prospective candidates who in other constituencies would likely fare better.

I’ve met Tommy Gould a few times and imho he is a very decent hard working guy who even before he got into politics worked very hard in and for his local unfashionable GAA Club Vincent’s. He was their chairman for a number of years ever before his election as TD.

And while his diction might grate with some here I think it may be one of the things that endears him to so many CNC voters. They see him as “one of their own”, “local guy done well”. His voice and diction chimes with many in CNC where they also elect a dub of all people.

But why do CNC voters elect a dub? Well nobody can trust the Labour Party, especially given some of the leadership they’ve had in that party, including the current one.

There’s a bigger proportion of left wing votes in CNC than in CSC probably because for as long as one can remember CNC has been treated less favourably than CSC. Maybe the actual geography hinders infrastructure north of the river compared to the south, but even with charismatic TDs and a REAL Taoiseach CNC seemed to get less. Maybe it’s only a perception but it’s a perception that’s out there.

And this comes back to why I think CNC elect the TDs that they do. For a start they can only elect from who’s on the ballot paper. This in turn is down to who the parties put forward. So why do the parties put these candidates forward rather than others.
Mick Barry is going to run and SF have a candidate who competes in that space and seems to not want to get outflanked by MB.

The other parties put people forward who can give a nod to that space and want to appeal to people whose electoral politics is less nuanced than those south of the river where life tends to be more comfortable.

Laugh at MB as many do - what is the viable alternative for people from CNC to vote for? Don’t think SF have a hope with their second candidate and the FF and FG candidates aren’t exactly vote getters themselves - merely party candidates there to try hoover up the party’s dwindling core vote and hope to get in on transfers so if/when elected the can only ever aspire to being junior junior minister - in very stark contrast to their fellows in CSC.

Barring something dramatic I can’t see much change

All just my opinion of course
What is your opinion on the protest

Houses are needed across every strata of Irish society. Private, affordable, and social housing. Trying to get the mix right is difficult but I welcome the building of housing units. How about you?

Causing ructions for public reps of all parties everywhere, especially SF in Dublin. O' Broin, O' Snodaigh and few more have been taken aback by the reaction among those they'd consider nailed on voters for SF. Trying to walk a fine line now between supporting the "immigrants welcome" policy without alienating lot of voters who are less than happy with recent developments!!

Causing ructions for public reps of all parties everywhere, especially SF in Dublin. O' Broin, O' Snodaigh and few more have been taken aback by the reaction among those they'd consider nailed on voters for SF. Trying to walk a fine line now between supporting the "immigrants welcome" policy without alienating lot of voters who are less than happy with recent developments!!

Wouldn't the right wing "immigrants unwelcome" mob be more at home with the right wing Fine Gaelers and/or their former candidates like Verona Murphy. Blueshirts have form for this kind of thing

Considering their objections to new houses being built in the northside can you be sure both Nugent and Gould are pro housing

What housing exactly?

I think they along with other councilors are not as gung-ho as they used be on getting in housing no matter what because, as was seen in the case of their former colleague and SF party leader on Cork City Council, voting in favour of housing against the objections of locals can see your support erode.

Oh how some people here laughed at seeing Chris O'Leary, the first Sinn Fein Lord Mayor of this City in nearly 100 years lose his seat on the council.

And that happened because he said housing was the right thing to do in the prevailing circumstances. Locals didn't vote for him and he lost out.

I suspect all parties are cognizant of the fact that if you're not elected as a public representative you won't be able to lead and shape events anything like you can if you are elected.

All fine and well wanting to do the right thing at all times, but if you lose your seat, then someone with much lower principles can get in. Bit of a tight rope at times. I still think we should be building more housing units available across various social levels in society.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼