Kazakhstan Uprising

King Silkbeard

For a few days the Central Asian Republic has been rocked by fuel protests that escalated to full blown anti gvt riots. The President has sacked the cabinet and described the protesters as bandits and terrorists. Scores of people have been arrested following clashes that killed police officers and peacekeepers from the Russian backed Collective Security Treaty Organisation have been invited in to calm the situation.

It looks like the situation is calming itself down but the last few days have certainly been a roller coaster ride now Russian peacekeepers are in the Republic and the UN is calling for restraint. Where does it go from here?

Reprisals, round ups, gulags, collective punishment and the like. Russia will not allow a revolution in their own back yard.

I wonder at what stage will all these repressive regimes collapse.

We all thought the old Soviet Union would last forever, but when the cracks appeared, it keeled over very quickly.
In the case of current regime in Russia, my guess is when the West weans itself off oil & gas, Russia will collapse. It will take about 30 years more.

But of course, who knows what will replace it.

I wonder at what stage will all these repressive regimes collapse.

We all thought the old Soviet Union would last forever, but when the cracks appeared, it keeled over very quickly.
In the case of current regime in Russia, my guess is when the West weans itself off oil & gas, Russia will collapse. It will take about 30 years more.

But of course, who knows what will replace it.

World will have much bigger issues by then.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼