Jury Duty

Megelus

Anyone ever gotten a letter from the court to tell an employer to go away?

Due to highly specific circumstances (caused by their own bad planning tbh) my employer is asking me to try and get out of jury duty as quickly as possible whereas I have no desire to accommodate them.

I've never been on before so I don't know what the procedure is to defer or to get the employer to back off

Due to highly specific circumstances (caused by their own bad planning tbh) my employer is asking me to try and get out of jury duty as quickly as possible whereas I have no desire to accommodate them.

I've never been on before so I don't know what the procedure is to defer or to get the employer to back off
I remember a few years ago an employer who was putting pressure on an employee to get back to work as the case was dragging on
was called to court and warned by the judge,

Last edited:

Have you been assigned to a case, or are you just up for jury selection?

Generally if you're already on a jury the courts won't take you off it unless it is a genuine emergency.

If you are in a jury pool you can tell the court that your employer needs you, and they might let you off if they have lots of other jurors in court on the day.

Unless your employer goes to court with you then they are unlikely to know how much of a fight you put up!

(On mobile so multi quote is a dose)
Just up for selection atm, it hasn't started yet.

To give an outline - Basically I informed them 8 weeks ago (or whenever the letter arrived) and they said "grand, we'll deal with the details later" but then still scheduled me for shifts and would update the schedule as I found out what days I would be out.

Since the schedule was released something internal happened and soon I wont be with the company anymore, which would make it now very awkward for these shifts to have to be cancelled or reassigned to someone else. So they asked if I could go in and explain the situation and ask for a deferment.

The work doesn't constitute anything of an emergency outside the company neither am I the only one capable of doing it. (Or even the most capable tbh)

For my part, I've no desire to help them out, I would far rather be doing jury duty because the job is a shit show, but neither do I want to be seen to be giving them the middle finger by appearing to blatantly not try. Obviously they can't retaliate openly but I could do without the hassle.

Essentially their plan throughout has been "hope for the best and plan for the best"

My vaguely ideal solution would be a piece of paper from the court saying "we are ordering this person to serve the full 2 weeks, go away"

I definitely don't want the court to consider giving them anything and they are the types that it wouldn't be outside the bounds of possibility that they would actually follow up on it with the court.

Last edited:
Just go in and be honest. Tell them what you've said here, but in a less post-ey manner. That work said they'd sort it out. That they scheduled you for things but said if jury duty came up you'd be free to do it. Something complicated the matter they planned for but it's by no means an unworkable situation and you're not even the top tier talent they rely on but they'd still like to have you not do the service because it'd make things easier for them.

If the judge says you still have to do jury duty then you have to do jury duty. Represent what they're saying fairly, but also represent your own take on the situation, as accurately as you can (without you saying they're shites and you want a jury duty holiday.)

If you do do dury juty, and the employer then gives you grief, go straight to the judge. There'll 100% be an avenue for you to communicate with him and her about personal and work situations that arise. The jury duty service is fairly well managed and they know it's out of the ordinary for people called, whether it's work or self-employed situations, childcare situations, education situations or medical situations. They do not want to screw you over and do want you to be able to complete your service as an honourable Irish citizen.

Remember, they deal with this stuff every day. And if you do end up getting excused, then you still did what was expected of you and it was never in your purview to decide.

TPP pretty much covered everything there.

The only thing I would add is that if your employer isn't in Court on the day of jury selection to hear what you say then they won't be able to follow it up with the court afterwards. Courts are very precious about jury information and so they won't hand out details to a third party, not even an employer.

The Court won't give a letter saying you need to be there, but once you are empanelled into a jury then that is basically a court order demanding your attendance.

I wouldn’t like this coward of an OP on a jury for anything I’d possibly be charged of.

Sounds like an easily swayed individual with zero guts to make a stand for the right reasons.

Best of luck with jury duty, m8.

Just go in and be honest. Tell them what you've said here, but in a less post-ey manner. That work said they'd sort it out. That they scheduled you for things but said if jury duty came up you'd be free to do it. Something complicated the matter they planned for but it's by no means an unworkable situation and you're not even the top tier talent they rely on but they'd still like to have you not do the service because it'd make things easier for them.

If the judge says you still have to do jury duty then you have to do jury duty. Represent what they're saying fairly, but also represent your own take on the situation, as accurately as you can (without you saying they're shites and you want a jury duty holiday.)

If you do do dury juty, and the employer then gives you grief, go straight to the judge. There'll 100% be an avenue for you to communicate with him and her about personal and work situations that arise. The jury duty service is fairly well managed and they know it's out of the ordinary for people called, whether it's work or self-employed situations, childcare situations, education situations or medical situations. They do not want to screw you over and do want you to be able to complete your service as an honourable Irish citizen.

Remember, they deal with this stuff every day. And if you do end up getting excused, then you still did what was expected of you and it was never in your purview to decide.
I don't know if this would work in Ireland, but in the States there are certain professions that are routinely excluded (unofficially, but consistently) from jury duty. These are police and lawyers from criminal cases and lawyers, doctors/nurses, and insurance professionals for civil cases. The idea is that "experts" might be "biased". Even having a close relative in one of those categories would usually mandate an exclusion from the jury pool. (I was in one of those categories and although called for jury duty many times, when we were interviewed for the pool I would hardly get the entire word out of my mouth before I was told "Thank you! Next!")

I don't know if this would work in Ireland, but in the States there are certain professions that are routinely excluded (unofficially, but consistently) from jury duty. These are police and lawyers from criminal cases and lawyers, doctors/nurses, and insurance professionals for civil cases. The idea is that "experts" might be "biased". Even having a close relative in one of those categories would usually mandate an exclusion from the jury pool. (I was in one of those categories and although called for jury duty many times, when we were interviewed for the pool I would hardly get the entire word out of my mouth before I was told "Thank you! Next!")
Yeah there's a list of excluded professions and scenarios. None of them apply here, while we do interact with some high priority services we aren't essential to their operations by any stretch of the imagination

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Eoin Jordan & Stan Notte
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Underground Ovation Open Decks

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼