Junior A Football 2023

Football league began 2 weeks ago and teams have football games every 2 weeks up until mid June. League final will be played before championship begins the start of August.
Great to have so many games but tough on players (especially dual to be playing week in week out).
Weather is already causing havoc as some pitches have been unplayable for games and only window for these games to be played now will be midweek in April/May which is adding to an already tight schedule. Injuries are going to mount up over the season for a lot of teams.

6 teams in Duhallow championship, 1st round is as follows. Lyre v Castlemagner Knocknagree v Kanturk Kilbrin v Newmarket Disappointing the likes of Kiskeam and Rockchapel don’t have 2nd teams at this level. Millstreet too but with their 1st team now back at Premier Junior it was probably unlikely, same goes for Ballydesmond. I’d fancy Castlemagner to win it out but will probably find a few too strong in the county.
Totally forgot about Castlemagner, they would possibly be the strongest of what's left in Duhallow. Kilbrin are another first team but they have been JB for the last number of years, they must have made the jump up to JA this year. 6 teams is a poor championship.

Lismire should have seen how they get on in Junior A, they'd have the bare 15 but probably be fairly competitive in such a weak division. I think Pat Spratt is over Castlemagner this year. They got Holland from Kanturk who'd still be a danger at Junior.

Carbery and muskerry are the most wide open draws and as such it’s easy to see why a winner of either might be considered favourites for a county. Any team playing in a higher grade in hurling would be in with a shout too as conditioning would be very good if players crossed over. I’m thinking of Charleville, Ballinhassig, Erin’s Own, Castlemartyr etc. Always the chance a team could come out of no where with a run especially with young players.

CastleMagner will have big advantage over other Duhallow teams the fact that they are playing in the county league. Good start for them today beating Michael’s second string in division 7

6 teams in Duhallow championship, 1st round is as follows. Lyre v Castlemagner Knocknagree v Kanturk Kilbrin v Newmarket Disappointing the likes of Kiskeam and Rockchapel don’t have 2nd teams at this level. Millstreet too but with their 1st team now back at Premier Junior it was probably unlikely, same goes for Ballydesmond. I’d fancy Castlemagner to win it out but will probably find a few too strong in the county.
This is being run off as a 6 team group which gives every team 5 games. 1st place straight to final and 2nd v 3rd in a semi.

Barryroe could be dark horses for carbery altho David Kiely going travelling is a big loss. Bal will give the football a good rattle but once again will be pushing for the hurling title. Kilmacs and caheragh will be there or there abouts and of course Argideen have a young outfit and will be pushing after the progress made last year

Disappointing to hear of the events in the Aghinagh Vs Ballinhassig game. I wouldn’t know Ballinhassig people but Aghinagh are full of good people and play football hard and fair. Aghinagh have got out of the Muskerry league into Cork County division 7 which is great for them and a huge opportunity

Disappointing to hear of the events in the Aghinagh Vs Ballinhassig game. I wouldn’t know Ballinhassig people but Aghinagh are full of good people and play football hard and fair. Aghinagh have got out of the Muskerry league into Cork County division 7 which is great for them and a huge opportunity
What was it that unfolded?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼