Jesus lads, 'tis looking like BREXIT!

FT Today:
1664876876314.png

@GordonBrown
·
52m

But even venture capitalists know they don’t get rich on their own. Public investment - in education, infrastructure, skills, health - is vital to create growth. It’s time this government remembered that age-old truth: when the strong help the weak, it makes us all stronger.

NEW: Downing Street dumps on Jacob Rees-Mogg's plans to rip up worker rights, calling them "half baked"

1664880839706.png

Last edited:
Lee Anderson MP on BBC essentially telling the interviewer - maybe we should just take the BBC license fee away and use that money i.e. if you are not going to be nice to us we will punish you, how do you like them apples?

Last edited:
Lee Anderson MP on BBC essentially telling the interviewer - maybe we should just take the BBC license fee away and use that money i.e. if you are going to be nice to us we will punish you, how do you like them apples?
The licence fee can be justified when there are no commercials or sponsorships.
But where there are, like here, it just distorts the market.

The licence fee can be justified when there are no commercials or sponsorships.
But where there are, like here, it just distorts the market.
I also think the BBC does too much that's really of little value on a public service platform. Does Britain really need a 23rd season of Escape to the Country, a 28th season of Pointless, a 19th season of Eggheads or a 62nd season of Bargain Hunt? No.

In fact, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to reserve BBC1 for public service broadcasting, and BBC2, with ads, for that rubbish. Make it self sustaining.

The BBC is great, but it pumps out an awful lot of dross.

That said, if they go anywhere near CBeebies, I will come after them with knives.

I also think the BBC does too much that's really of little value on a public service platform. Does Britain really need a 23rd season of Escape to the Country, a 28th season of Pointless, a 19th season of Eggheads or a 62nd season of Bargain Hunt? No.

In fact, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to reserve BBC1 for public service broadcasting, and BBC2, with ads, for that rubbish. Make it self sustaining.

The BBC is great, but it pumps out an awful lot of dross.

That said, if they go anywhere near CBeebies, I will come after them with knives.
And I think the opposite. My only issue with the BBC is that they have been running scared of the Tories since Brexit and all their current affairs and politics programmes are now toeing the ERG line.

I see your point on POintless, Eggheads and stuff - but the minute they become in any way a commercial entity they lose. Their wildlife stuff, frozen planet, serengeti etc is peerless. Their science and open university stuff, horizon etc .......incredible.............

And I think the opposite. My only issue with the BBC is that they have been running scared of the Tories since Brexit and all their current affairs and politics programmes are now toeing the ERG line.

I see your point on POintless, Eggheads and stuff - but the minute they become in any way a commercial entity they lose. Their wildlife stuff, frozen planet, serengeti etc is peerless. Their science and open university stuff, horizon etc .......incredible.............
Streaming services have made big state T.V. companies largely irrelevant for a younger generation who also do not bother with physical newspapers and like any state organisation it is dependent on the patronage of the Govt. in power.

The BBC should focus on the stuff that it does well (current affairs, nature, kidz, documentaries' and drama) and stop trying to be all things to all people all the time.

Go for quality over quantity.

Their news used to be good but now it is utterly hopeless compared to Channel 4, ITV or even Sky.

Question Time is just modern bear baiting for right-wingers.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT

The Big Swinin' Mikeys

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼