Jesus lads, 'tis looking like BREXIT!

Yes, things are pretty shit economically in Britain right now.

But he's not comparing like with like:

The Brexit calculation is a What-if comparison. To say those are only indicative is something of an understatement.

The Great Depression was a 15% drop in GDP.

The UK has not had a 15% drop in GDP, outside the massive drop for Covid, which every single country on earth had. It's broadly at the same level as 2019, effectively 3 years of no growth at all. Which is about 6.3-9.5% lower than it probably should be with Brexit. That is, if the overall Tory incompetence didn't take a decent few points off growth which I'm certain it would have.
Below trend growth is not the same as an absolute drop in GDP.

As for it being unprecedented in modern economic history, he might want to get some Greek friends...
The U.K. economy now has to compete globally unlike the late 1920's when it set the rules while exploiting its empire and now it has placed economic sanctions upon itself while fantasising about trade deals in the Pacific region while ignoring the huge wealthy market right on its doorstep.

Brexit was a political choice by an elitist corrupt Tory party and its donors made by people who can well afford to ride out any negative economic downside and many of them and their backers cash in big time in a low/lax regulation U.K.

Their politician's cannot even name a single Brexit benefit when challenged (The waffle on about vaccines in desperation).

They even have an answer to their woes staring them right in the face but it is politically unpalatable and Brexit has broken U.K. politics for a generation.

Start by improving their education system and reap the reward in about 20 years time?

1675075601015.png

Last edited:
Did you get that? The President of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine — Britain’s most senior ER figure — says that 500 people a week are dying because they can’t get care. Beds, ambulances, seen by doctors. Adjusted for populations, that’s nearly a 9/11 every week..

I thought that the money saved by leaving the EU would sort out the Health System? :rolleyes:

Interesting that there's a huge divide in attitude towards brexit between those born before 1954 and those born after.

The most brexity are those born before 1944, who are now 78 and above.

The UK's median life expectancy is 82.3 for men, 85.8 for women.

Demographics alone is definitely going to make the UK a lot less Brexity over the next decade.

There is now a majority for Brexit in only three seats across the whole of the U.K.

Three.

In 629 out of the 632 constituencies across Britain, more people agree with the statement "Britain was wrong to leave the EU" than disagree with it.

1675085624434.png
1675085657732.png
1675085681359.png

Hello Kier........hello................................Kier..............

Last edited:
For the UK to be allowed to rejoin the EU, Ireland should put a number of preconditions to any negotiations even starting, with priority given to adoption of the Euro and also a final settlement once and for all of the north of Ireland situation.

We have a veto on any applicant becoming a candidate for entry. Even ex member countries like the U.K.

There is now a majority for Brexit in only three seats across the whole of the U.K.

Three.

In 629 out of the 632 constituencies across Britain, more people agree with the statement "Britain was wrong to leave the EU" than disagree with it.

View attachment 18599
View attachment 18600
View attachment 18601

Hello Kier........hello................................Kier..............
I agree with Starmer's approach to it, I don't like it but I agree with it.
Fundamentally, reopening the EU membership discussion is of little help at this point in time. They have to work with what they've got, banging the drum for single market or customs union at this point, makes it easy to make the election about europe yet again. Which will help the Tory vote, because they'll attract back a certain contingent of leavers with a "protect brexit" campaign. And Britain being wrong to leave the EU is not the same as people agreeing that rejoining parts of the EU is a good thing.
For the UK to be allowed to rejoin the EU, Ireland should put a number of preconditions to any negotiations even starting, with priority given to adoption of the Euro and also a final settlement once and for all of the north of Ireland situation.

We have a veto on any applicant becoming a candidate for entry. Even ex member countries like the U.K.
And that's the other challenge, a lot of bridges have been burnt, whether or not the UK can even gain readmission to the single market or customs union is not something Starmer can bang a drum about, it'll need EU consent to achieve it.
That's not a given, it is not in his power to bring the UK back into the fold.

I agree with Starmer's approach to it, I don't like it but I agree with it.
Fundamentally, reopening the EU membership discussion is of little help at this point in time. They have to work with what they've got, banging the drum for single market or customs union at this point, makes it easy to make the election about europe yet again. Which will help the Tory vote, because they'll attract back a certain contingent of leavers with a "protect brexit" campaign. And Britain being wrong to leave the EU is not the same as people agreeing that rejoining parts of the EU is a good thing.

And that's the other challenge, a lot of bridges have been burnt, whether or not the UK can even gain readmission to the single market or customs union is not something Starmer can bang a drum about, it'll need EU consent to achieve it.
That's not a given, it is not in his power to bring the UK back into the fold.
This is exactly why the U.K. is simply screwed for at least a generation.

The Tory party that promoted the total disaster that is Brexit and some of its supporters will still defend it even though there are no actual benefits while somehow muddling through with all the economic downsides of putting up hard trade barriers etc.

The Labour party that was wishy-washey on Brexit (Corbyn) cannot even make any political capital out of the total disaster that is Brexit and some of its supporters will still defend. (hard-left Labour and hard-right Tories agree on something)

The U.K. has huge problems with debt, growth, productivity, investment, labour supply demographics etc but no one can even mention the greatest contributing factor to its root causes or even refer to it as part of a solution.

Things will have to get much worse first I think before reality is publicly acknowledged at any high level.

Despite the Tory ills, Starmer still struggling to win over the voters! Cranky left are unhappy with him for opposing Corbyn and moderates for his wishy-washy attitude to Brexit and refusing to call it out for the shitshow it has become.

Lab to win next GE despite rather than because of Starmer!

Despite the Tory ills, Starmer still struggling to win over the voters! Cranky left are unhappy with him for opposing Corbyn and moderates for his wishy-washy attitude to Brexit and refusing to call it out for the shitshow it has become.

Lab to win next GE despite rather than because of Starmer!

Tories are far more unpopular now that they were at the end of Thatcher (and we're at the same part of the cycle now).

When Major took over Labour were firm favourites to win - but they didn't.

This version of the Torys have had their Black Monday early - but I still wouldn't write them off.

The corruption sleaze bit of the current Torys is far closer to 97 that to 92 though.

Tories are far more unpopular now that they were at the end of Thatcher (and we're at the same part of the cycle now).

When Major took over Labour were firm favourites to win - but they didn't.

This version of the Torys have had their Black Monday early - but I still wouldn't write them off.

The corruption sleaze bit of the current Torys is far closer to 97 that to 92 though.
The Tories are totally focked.

They are both inept and corrupt.

A senior Tory (Zahawi) used libel threats in a bid to stop a journalist reporting the truth.

We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg and it will get a lot worse.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tony Milner

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼