Is this 'Bitcoin' the real deal?

I've been reading with interest these past few months about a 'virtual currency' called Bitcoin.Its value has increased by 1000% and it appears its being accepted by more and more banks/economies.Anyone any knowledge on it?I was considering having a small punt?

Luna the fourth most popular cryptocurrency went from $100 to

20220513_075306.jpg

in a week.

M8 if Klopp is a 'genius' with two major trophies in 7 seasons then Coutinho is Elon Musk.

I don't pretend to understand the entire crypto thing but it has no tangible worth backing it?

Is it all just a big Ponzi scheme then?

Last edited:
I don't pretend to understand the entire crypto thing but it has no tangible worth backing it?

Is it all just a big Ponzi scheme then?

I think it probably fits that description yes.

The only thing that causes prices to increase is more people buying. Compared to traditional stocks it doesn’t make sense.

Bitcoin has no intrinsic value, only that there’s only ever going to 21m made. So unlike fiat, it’s finite.

It has zero use as a currency in the traditional sense. Why would you buy something with BTC when it’s so volatile?

People that hold BTC believe it’s going to be worth multiples of current values so don’t use it to buy cars/houses etc. It’s a nominal store of value based on blind faith.

A friend of mine turned €16k into €12m and cashed out. Put it all into property. Had zero clue what he was doing just found himself in the right place at the right time. Even he doesn’t understand the fuckin’ thing.

Those types of returns (he’d Bitcoin and Ethereum) are never going to happen again with BTC and ETH. So people are trying to find the next one. BTC looks as steady as a credit union savings account compared to the 1000’s of scam coins out there now.

It has suckered a lot of average joes into investing in shit. People are using it as a moonshot to attain a deposit for a house. Wages aren’t high enough to save the traditional way so people are risking all of their savings in the hope of getting a x10 return.

If you find a few spare K down the back of a couch and don’t care about it going to zero then do a bit of research and have a bit of fun but that’s not for everyone.

I invested about €30k over a few months starting January 2020. At its height it was worth over €80k. In hindsight I should have pulled out, paid the CGT and walked away from the whole show but greed got the better of me. I set €100k as the walk away target and it all crashed over the last 6 months or so.

Portfolio worth €18k. now. The S in SSB is justified

I think it probably fits that description yes.

The only thing that causes prices to increase is more people buying. Compared to traditional stocks it doesn’t make sense.

Bitcoin has no intrinsic value, only that there’s only ever going to 21m made. So unlike fiat, it’s finite.

It has zero use as a currency in the traditional sense. Why would you buy something with BTC when it’s so volatile?

People that hold BTC believe it’s going to be worth multiples of current values so don’t use it to buy cars/houses etc. It’s a nominal store of value based on blind faith.

A friend of mine turned €16k into €12m and cashed out. Put it all into property. Had zero clue what he was doing just found himself in the right place at the right time. Even he doesn’t understand the fuckin’ thing.

Those types of returns (he’d Bitcoin and Ethereum) are never going to happen again with BTC and ETH. So people are trying to find the next one. BTC looks as steady as a credit union savings account compared to the 1000’s of scam coins out there now.

It has suckered a lot of average joes into investing in shit. People are using it as a moonshot to attain a deposit for a house. Wages aren’t high enough to save the traditional way so people are risking all of their savings in the hope of getting a x10 return.

If you find a few spare K down the back of a couch and don’t care about it going to zero then do a bit of research and have a bit of fun but that’s not for everyone.

I invested about €30k over a few months starting January 2020. At its height it was worth over €80k. In hindsight I should have pulled out, paid the CGT and walked away from the whole show but greed got the better of me. I set €100k as the walk away target and it all crashed over the last 6 months or so.

Portfolio worth €18k. now. The S in SSB is justified

Interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

I have an online picture of a dog that I think you might like to get in on...

Crypto losses are now equal to $1.7 trillion.

The 2007 subprime mortgage market was $1.3 trillion.

Yikes.

I’m fairly thick at this stuff but isn’t there a slight difference in that the sub-prime market was due to inflated house prices, people having huge mortgages on same houses and then house prices collapsing leaving people owing money exceeding the value of the assets.

The crypto losses are probably more to do with peoples investments ie most of the losses aren’t on loans?

To put it in context while $1.7tn seems a lot Apple Inc has a market cap of $2.3tn.

Crypto is more like the dotcom bubble than the subprime bubble.

The dotcom bubble spawned Google, apple, Amazon etc so wasn’t a complete pyramid scheme. The sub-prime exposed the banks.

Last edited:
I’m fairly thick at this stuff but isn’t there a slight difference in that the sub-prime market was due to inflated house prices, people having huge mortgages on same houses and then house prices collapsing leaving people owing money exceeding the value of the assets.

The crypto losses are probably more to do with peoples investments ie most of the losses aren’t on loans?

To put it in context while $1.7tn seems a lot Apple Inc has a market cap of $2.3tn.

Crypto is more like the dotcom bubble than the subprime bubble.

The dotcom bubble spawned Google, apple, Amazon etc so wasn’t a complete pyramid scheme. The sub-prime exposed the banks.
You do not have to account for a large proportion of the financial sector to trigger massive financial stability problems as banks, businesses, billionaires and those heavily leveraged would immediately be in trouble.

The stock market will not be able to ignore this.

A country like El Salvador? went entirely in on crypto as far as I know.

You do not have to account for a large proportion of the financial sector to trigger massive financial stability problems as banks, businesses, billionaires and those heavily leveraged would immediately be in trouble.

The stock market will not be able to ignore this.

A country like El Salvador? went entirely in on crypto as far as I know.

Fair point. It’s a chain effect. Northern Rock being a good example. Shows how much the entire financial ecosystem is a house of cards really

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Camilla Griehsel's Mamasongue
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

12th May 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..

All You Need Is Death (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:15pm

More events ▼